Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Qest  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 16, 2010 5:41:22 PM(UTC)
Qest

Groups: Member

So I finally finished my Buffalo32S last night - my first DIY project! I have yet to do comparison (I'll be doing some blind A/B'ing next weekend) but first impressions are off the chart. I'm very pleased with how this turned out and also very pleased that everything went so smoothly. Everything seems to work perfectly (though I've yet to try driving two headphones at once, as I only have one pair of headphones at the moment).

The headphones are AKG K701's which I recabled for balanced and duel-entry with Mogami W3106 and Neutrik XX connectors. It sounds great, but the zap-straps for strain relief might need some aesthetic upgrading. I also made a converter to go back to standard headphone jack for the A/B'ing I'll be doing next weekend.

Some photos:
UserPostedImage
Those holes were a nightmare to drill... I love old school flick switches. They are so rugged.

UserPostedImage
This layout probably isn't the best, but I had to make do with the space available.

UserPostedImage
Those wires were too small for my wire stripper, so it took many, many hours to get everything wired up.

UserPostedImage
It started getting a little crowded in there by the end.

UserPostedImage
And there are my now recabled headphones! I think they sound basically the same. It's hard to tell without another pair of 701's for comparison.

UserPostedImage
And the little converter for convenience.

Thank you to Brian and Russ for all your quick support.

- Qest

Brian Donegan  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 16, 2010 5:53:25 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
Quote:
I've yet to try driving two headphones at once, as I only have one pair of headphones at the moment

You will need a second head as well... :)

It looks great!
Qest  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 17, 2010 12:42:24 AM(UTC)
Qest

Groups: Member

Do you see any mistakes or room for improvement? I don't know that I will change anything now since it works and it sounds great, but I'd like to know what to keep in mind in the future.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed