Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
GUS  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 18, 2008 11:58:18 PM(UTC)
GUS

Groups: Member

How well would the IVY work driving headphones? I was thinking of simply wiring the IVY's balanced outputs directly to a balanced headphone jack, or is there a another way that would get better results? I will need a swich to select between headphone out and xlr out, is there anything you could sugest or recomend?

Gus.
Russ White  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 19, 2008 7:20:43 AM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Hi Gus,

Using the IVY as a headphone amp is a very popular application. It excells at this role because it can deliver a lot of current (150ma). I literally use it like this every day. Both at home on my PC and at work. I have yet to find anything better.

Some cool things:

1) You can drive your headphones right from your DAC!!! Especially if you use Volumite!. :)

2) You can use the headphone driver from either a balanced or a SE source!!! The output will still be balanced at the balanced outputs. :)

3) You can typically use less filtering when driving headphones because of the low inpedance load, but I would still include it.

Cheers!
Russ
GUS  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 19, 2008 10:55:42 PM(UTC)
GUS

Hi Russ,

It worked out a lot simpler than i thought. I'm already using my single end outputs(RCA)for my sub woofer, so i just bought a $3.00 RCA - 3.5mm adapter to plug my headphones into, it works and sounds good, at least the best my cheep logitech headphones have ever sounded. Only down side is i have to unplug my sub every time i want to use my headphones.

Will end up doing something more permanent and buy some better headphones soon, but at least i can use my headphones through my dac while everyones sleeping tonight.

Thanks
Gus
Telrab  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 3, 2009 5:00:11 AM(UTC)
Telrab

Hi Russ,

I'm received my Buffalo and IVY last december. Using IVY's SE-ouput to drive my headphones (250 ohms) gives a very hollow sound with no bass. Using the same SE-output to drive my integrated amplifier gives a very refined sound, no problems here. Do i need to add something to the IVY in order to drive my phones?

Greetings,
Telrab
Russ White  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 3, 2009 7:35:00 AM(UTC)
Russ White

It should be ok down to 250ohms. Lately I only use the IVY to drive headphones balanced. The fully symmetrical balanced output is much better at driving a load than the SE output.

Cheers!
Russ
Telrab  
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 5, 2009 4:21:37 AM(UTC)
Telrab

I don't recall changing anything in my setup, but my headphone-problem has disappeard. Everything is running fine now!:d/

Greetings,
Telrab
stewart  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 21, 2009 3:49:36 PM(UTC)
stewart

I'm wondering how the counterpoint vs. the IVY I compare for driving balanced headphones. Does one drive headphones better than the other?
Russ White  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 21, 2009 6:18:53 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Counterpoint would not drive headphone well at all. It has a fairly high output impedance.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed