Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
frozen wing  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 15, 2009 3:11:53 PM(UTC)
frozen wing

Groups: Member

I have dac + mux + ivy

i just finished the build and the sound is very detailed but too bright, the low end is kind of missing.
I used the new settings c1-4 10nf, r17-20 jumpers, r5-8 jumpers and c13-16 10nf.I noticed in every pictures i saw here and on diyaudio
that c13-16 are omitted! could that be the difference? about the dip switch setting the more i read the more i'm confused. Mux dip 1 low the rest high. Buffalo dip 1 low the rest middle.
frozen wing attached the following image(s):
IMG_2826 copy.jpg (121kb) downloaded 443 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
frozen wing  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 18, 2009 12:05:08 PM(UTC)
frozen wing

i'm a total beginner in this! I have changed the source and now the sound is much better. I did not now that the source could make a big differece. Still a bit bright for my taste when i play rock music. jazz is incredible i hear things i've never heard before.
Now would the vref mod change things enough that it would be worth doing it?
pelliott123  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 19, 2009 8:23:12 AM(UTC)
pelliott123

Dip switch 2,3,4 on the Buffalo can change the way it sounds. You have to re-boot the buffalo for change to take place. Do one at a time and see if that helps. I found that it took a while for the caps to settle in, be patient about 100 hours or so. Do forget you are hearing much more detail than whatever you were using before. I used to keep my tweeter level on my speakers full before and now they are flat.
Brian Donegan  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 19, 2009 8:32:04 AM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
I'm not sure what you were using before, but if it was something like a TDA dac, you are getting a lot more high freq output, as the TDAs roll the HF off.
frozen wing  
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 19, 2009 11:40:40 AM(UTC)
frozen wing

Its my first dac, before i was using a samsung Bd 2500 (i think its the one with the sabre chip). With the dac i played it trought toslink
sounded very bright (playing rock)! now i bought a wadia I170 transport with non compressed file of course. and its better, at least for me. ON some heavy rock its too bright on others it really sounds good. I listen mostly Blues, Jazz and rock, my taste in music is very large! My speaker are Ht3 from raw acoustic wich were a litle forward in the high's already. I will play with the dip switch.
I read the thread about the vref and i think i will give it a try.
frozen wing  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 1, 2009 6:08:01 AM(UTC)
frozen wing

I finaly found my problem, the high resolution of the dac just showed that my gainclone was shy in the bass. The higher frequency's where more present so the lack of bass was more evident.Found out after buildig another amp (t-amp).The caps in the powersupply where too small. So the problem was not in the dac!
Now i can enjoy this wonderful dac to its full potential.
Thanks
pelliott123  
#7 Posted : Monday, May 4, 2009 1:01:29 PM(UTC)
pelliott123

frozen wing:
Have you done the IVY mod Russ has talked about recently. I see from your picture you still have C1-C4 on the circuit board. If not go back through Ivy threads. After finding the thread and convincing yourself to realy try this I think you will like the results. Be careful its difficult to remove the caps that are on the center of the board. I did this this past rainy weekend and I like what I am hearing.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed