Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
audioslave  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 25, 2018 12:28:46 AM(UTC)
audioslave

Groups: Member

I ordered a 9028PRO with new regs as a kit. I got everything installed and was able to listen to the setup for several days. I was typically turning it off after listening....I left it on one night and the next evening no music. I checked the voltage at the PS and it was only 2.8v. I shut everything down.

I pulled the DC connection to the DAC and the voltage at the PS was back to 4.9. I pulled all the regs and just powered up the DAC. PS voltage remained 4.9. Added each of the regs one at a time and when I got to the 1.2v reg...the PS output dropped to 2.8v.

I am using the LCDPS to power the 9028. I did have an issue with my LCDPS not having enough current, but I pulled the power resistors and soldered in jumpers. It was able to run 1A into a 5 ohm power resistor without issue. Seemed stable, so I was listening to that until I got a new HO version.

Is there anything I can do for the reg, repair or troubleshooting wise? I ordered a new one with the LCDPS HO. I was hoping to narrow down the failure if possible before just throwing more parts at it.

I put my buffII back in place and the Legato and rest are working great.

Thanks in advance. Let me know if you need any other information.

Mike
Russ White  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 12, 2018 6:22:34 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Very sorry - I can't say I have ever had one fail other than from too high input voltage (need to keep it at 5V not over - which it sounds like you did). I could have been a surge I suppose - but with the ES9028 you are not pushing that reg very hard at all.
audioslave  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 13, 2018 6:39:31 AM(UTC)
audioslave

All is good with the new Reg. Once swapped out everything worked right away. I have the new LCDPS HO in as well. I noticed that the reg is a different version... Not sure if there are any differences that might have affected the operation.

With the voltage being so critical, should I be running at a significantly lower voltage...like 4.8V vs 4.9?

The sound is pretty darn good...my fellow audiophile with a Berkeley DAC was very appreciative. He was a little miffed that the DIY was besting his well regarded commercial DAC.

Thanks again.

Mike
Russ White  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 13, 2018 3:19:39 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
I recommend sticking with exactly 5V :) A tiny bit under is ok - but you do want the regs to have a bit of headroom :) As long as your upstream reg has no perceivable thermal drift you will be just fine. LCDPS-HO fits the bill nicely.

Thanks for the great report - enjoy the music!

Edited by user Tuesday, February 13, 2018 3:20:16 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

stewart  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2019 6:43:18 PM(UTC)
stewart

I've had a few tridents fail due to high voltage from a LCDPS. I have a Buffalo II and usually set the power supply to supply 5.5v. Should I be setting it at 5v? Usually, after I start having a problem, I'll check the power supply and see that it is putting out closer to 6v - I'm not sure if it drifts up or what is happening.

Would a centaur supply or placid hd supply be a better power source?
Possum  
#6 Posted : Sunday, June 16, 2019 12:48:50 PM(UTC)
Possum

Australia

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Well, I've had more than a few tridents fail - and it was nothing to do with over-voltage. They simply commit Hare Kari (had yet another die just the other day)

The LDOs used in the AVCC SSRs are different. Never had one fail (they take up to 16v in I believe). The more sensitive variety used in the SSR Tridents are the issue.
Possum  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2019 10:39:18 AM(UTC)
Possum

Australia

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 14 post(s)
And another Trident dies tonite in a completely separate unit.

This has ZERO to do with over-voltage.

Quite frankly, I am sick of this systemic fault.

Until the cause of this issue gets nailed down I highly advise against the use of SSR Tridents from a reliability perspective (aside from the fact they also pump digital noise into the analog DAC section and XO)

I stopped using the upstream placid HD supplies when I found less noisy LDO alternatives - but when a Trident failed it would take out the linear regulator too - so then I put in fuses, but became sick of replacing fuses and tridents - so I then directly powered the DAC from the external LDOs - A HUGE SONIC IMPROVEMENT

Russ, Brian, you have a problem with the reliability of (some of) those Trident SSR regs.
OhmegaMike  
#8 Posted : Monday, August 3, 2020 4:53:32 PM(UTC)
OhmegaMike

United States

I've had trouble with my Buffalo-IIIsePro38 from the start. The 1.3v trident is still outputting 1.3v but runs hot enough to burn my finger! The circuit board is getting brown. Running the centaur 5v and HD placid for the 15's. The DAC will not play over DSD64, and won't play high bitrate PCM. Had the fading in and out white noise when playing DSD which I have seen others talk about...

Now, my DAC has a new feature. While playing music, sounds slightly distorted, and it has crackles and pops, that sounds like a dirty vinyl record!

I suspect it may be the 1.3 Trident. What can be used in place of this regulator?

P.S. - The system also has the Mercury I/V, Cronus, and amanero. Running Roon with a linux based endpoint.

Edited by user Monday, August 3, 2020 4:55:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed