Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
sebastian  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 17, 2018 1:16:03 PM(UTC)
sebastian

Groups: Member

Hi!I recently got a set of 3 Trident SR regulators for my Buffalo II and when I put them on I messed up the orientation. I assumed that the pins marked with dots on the respective boards should line up but they do not! Aligning the dots connects the Trident SR outputs to the VD in for all three Trident SR:s. If there is any info on this I did not see it Anxious

So when I powered up of course a couple of things happened. But all I knew was that the Buffalo II did not power up properly. On the AVCC board only one LED lit up for example. Measuring the output voltage on my placid 2.0.1 it was loaded down to about 4.5 volts. Ok, so then I tried to adjust the current to cram as much juice as possible out of the placid 2.0.1. Obviously it came up short (even though I could get it up to delivering close to 4.8 volts sometimes, enough to just about power the DAC board up and even to play music for a few seconds). Next I read up and even modified the placids as per recommendation for the old shunt reg tridents (jumper on R5 resistor). This kind of worked (could actually play music, believe it or not) but still only marginally and that was when I started realizing something else was wrong.

Finally measuering the output of the tridents i realized I was in trouble. I dont remember the exact readings but the regs put out considerably more volts than what should be healthy for the DAC circuits. At this point I realized that they were connected in reverse and that the markings on the boards in fact did not line up in the correct way.

So I disconnected the Tridents SR:s and measured their outputs outside of the circuits. I only have access to a digital multimeter so I could not confirm their status precicely, but they did still output their specified voltages. So I decided to put them back in the right way.

Now the amazing thing is that the DAC actually still plays music :-) But of course I worry about damages :-( This is where I need some guidence. I dont have the expertize to check for possible damages. The one thing I have measured is the resistance of input to ground on all three supplies on the DAC board. They measure respecively:

VDD-GND - ~73 Ohms
VDD_XO-GND - open circuit
DVCC-GND - open circuit

Are these readings normal? What parts ar possibly/probably damaged? What else could I check for?
I'm happy to post pictures if someone could help me out here. I could say that the sound right now is not obviously compromized but I feel that there is an emphasis to the presence range that is new, and a tad harsh.

Thank you!

/sebastian

Brian Donegan  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 18, 2018 1:11:01 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
I think if the Tridents are still outting the correct voltages, and you are not experiencing any anomalies in the sound, just enjoy the music.
sebastian  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2018 9:18:47 PM(UTC)
sebastian

Groups: Member

Well... If only.

Should we really fool ourselves that anyone is doing this hobby for the music? Angel For me its more about giving my perfectionist personality traits a workout and controlling at least something in a chaotic life to a higher degree. I agree that sometimes we need to give things a rest, but for me even when things go wrong this is actually my fun!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed