Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
ZAG  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 1, 2018 1:26:30 PM(UTC)
ZAG

Groups: Member
Russian Federation

Hello,

Thanks to the developers for the new version of the DACs, after the super assembly of the Legato terminal (the signal path completely on foil resistors, polymeric tantalum capacitors, monocrystal single silver wiring, etc.), installation of everything in the layout and connection, received excellent sound, quite clean and natural. The result is more than happy, and this is when connecting to a CD player SPDIF and an unbalanced output of the headphone amplifier (the amplifier is also built on signal foil resistors and others).From the result of the received sound to this version of the assembly DACs gave the name - Sapphire. It remains only the corps before the completion of the finish.
http://forum.doctorhead....howtopic=12138&st=75 (#95)

Andrey.

2.jpg (208kb) downloaded 37 time(s). 1.jpg (221kb) downloaded 44 time(s).
Russ White  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 6, 2018 7:28:49 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Very nice! Enjoy the music!

Cheers!
Russ
Possum  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2018 1:49:35 AM(UTC)
Possum

Australia

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Interesting mod to the Legatos stock components!

I see you are using the sigma linear regulator boards. I have these boards also, but I found their noise rejection capabilities were not very good - particularly for use on the DAC as it generates a lot of high frequency noise that the sigma just doesn't filter out (you can see this on a 'scope with at least 100Mhz bandwidth.

I am now using 2 tiers of regulation, and recommend you give it a try too given all the effort you've gone to with the Legato - at least on the DAC supply. You can use TP's HD Placids. They do a reasonable job of noise suppression - but I am using the Placids as primary regulation and the DIYINHK ultra low noise linear regs (which include a murata choke for added filtration) for secondary regulation. I remove the bridge rectifier so the regulator will work off of an input of 8+ volts DC. You can use the sigma to provide the 8+ volts DC (note that the DIYINHK bipolar reg cannot be modded to accept bipolar DC in, only separate feeds, so it won't work for powering the Legato in your setup. You would need a Placid or similar that can be modded to accept bipolar DC).

I also recommend additional ferrite chokes as they're simple to make and are effective at removing noise in the 100Mhz band (which happens to be the clock frequency of the DAC). I even use these on the DAC analog outputs to good effect.

Cheers,

Poss
ZAG  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2018 9:22:36 AM(UTC)
ZAG

Russian Federation

Power units Sigma, I used, as they and accessories to them, remained after the assembly of the B22. There, too, something has changed, has been supplied with SiC Schottky diodes, 10,000 μF capacitors, Caddock resistors, C11 - tantalum polymer capacitors instead of electrolytic capacitors, foil resistors, etc.
I listen to music in my DIY headphones, wooden cups of closed execution with capsules from Sennheiser HD800 with my DIY headphone cable on UP-OCC silver solid core wire (I use it in the DAC wiring). On hearing, I do not hear any noise, everything is just mirror-clear, you feel only the beyond the pleasure of sound quality, which to a certain extent provides a completely signal path on Z-foil resistors from Legato to the output of the amplifier B22 and then the possibilities of the new Buffalo III-SE Pro just came very good. And this is all when unbalanced connection of a DAC with an amplifier, when using the CD player as a transport connected by SPDIF. While the desire, something to change the desire there, just to finish the case of DAC.

Andrey

3.jpg (210kb) downloaded 14 time(s). 1.jpg (112kb) downloaded 10 time(s). 2.jpg (163kb) downloaded 8 time(s).

Edited by user Sunday, April 15, 2018 9:30:33 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Possum  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2018 9:37:23 AM(UTC)
Possum

Australia

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Only a suggestion Zag. If you like what you hear and/or are simply finishing the build then sit back, relax, and enjoy your fruits :-)

Obviously the human ear will not hear noise in the mhz band directly as noise, but it will degrade the sound in subtle ways and affect inner detail/holographic soundstage. I similarly use reference AKGs with a pure silver home-made lead, and can hear the difference, although its actually more pronounced listening to speakers where you have a properly-focussed sound source (as opposed to 180 degree-opposed sound sources that a headphone inevitably provides)

Anyway, enjoy all your hard work!

Poss

Edited by user Sunday, April 15, 2018 9:39:22 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ZAG  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2018 12:14:44 PM(UTC)
ZAG

Russian Federation

This is where the parasitic noise is actually heard, so it is in any system where resistors such as Vishay-Dale and the like are used on the signal line.
This is clearly seen when two devices are assembled (in my case, two completely identical amplifiers B22, but on different element bases), one on resistors similar to Vishay-Dale in the signal line, the other on the Z-foil resistors in the signal line. Then, when you compare two amplifiers with each other, it seems that on one amplifier, as if the noise cancellation was turned on, the sound becomes so pure and transparent (therefore, I called this assembly B22 Crystal) that I do not want to change anything (and to Vishay-Dale and others, even to return there is no longer any desire).
And here, on this principle, the assembled Legato module, gives pleasure to listening to music in a double. The sound becomes not just neutral, it becomes more natural, as it sounds alive.

p.s. In Legato, the output voltage is slightly increased. In place of resistors R1-R4 - 150R, installed at 180R, in place of resistors R9-R16 - 680R, installed on 750R. In place of resistors R17-R24 and R33-R36, Z-foil resistors 0.01%, a set of transistors on the stand with a deviation of no more than 0.5% are installed. When setting up the Legato module, there was no difficulty, in fact an absolute 0VDC, both on balanced and non-balanced outputs.
ZAG  
#7 Posted : Monday, June 17, 2019 9:55:36 AM(UTC)
ZAG

Russian Federation

I have not written for a long time, but now I decided to show the almost final look of my DAC. I wanted to add something else, but so far I have postponed this undertaking.

74.jpg (38kb) downloaded 10 time(s). 70.jpg (31kb) downloaded 9 time(s). 79.jpg (127kb) downloaded 11 time(s). 81.jpg (49kb) downloaded 11 time(s). 82.jpg (49kb) downloaded 10 time(s). 71.jpg (106kb) downloaded 15 time(s). 72.jpg (36kb) downloaded 14 time(s). 80.jpg (85kb) downloaded 11 time(s). 78.jpg (138kb) downloaded 17 time(s).

Edited by moderator Monday, June 17, 2019 12:34:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed