Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
mrciave  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 28, 2016 7:16:18 PM(UTC)
mrciave

Groups: Member

I am a happy owner of a Dual Mono Opus DAC, fed by either an Esoteric CD Player, an Oppo BDP or a Logitech Squeezebox Touch.

The Esoteric laser is giving up (after just 5 years!!!), maybe it's a sign to give up those vintage CDs and go fully on ripped music.

But, even though the Squeezebox Touch is a nice piece of kit, the interface to go through an entire library is quite poor. The reality is that my iPhone, and even better my iPad, have nearly all my music collection, and since iOS 7 digital output is available through the Lightning connector, I was thinking about using the iPad as my digital music source.

Other USB DACs (Chord, JDS Labs, DragonFly) seem to be able to be driven by an iPhone through the Lightning to USB connector.

But I'd like to go the DIY way, and build a DAC for my iPhone/iPad with Twisted Pear parts.

Theoretically, if the USB Receiver/DAC can be driven by the iPhone/iPad, after that it's all the same (SPDIF or I2S).

Does anybody know if it works? If the answer is yes, I'll go for the project.

Cheers,

Andrea
Russ White  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 27, 2016 2:18:06 AM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
I can't say I have ever tried... I will see if I can.
mrciave  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 27, 2016 3:19:38 PM(UTC)
mrciave

Thanks Russ.

What you need is a Lightning to USB dongle (the one used to connect cameras and download pictures into iPhone/iPad), and on that you can connect "theoretically" any USB DAC.

Not sure which of the two adapters could work:
http://www.apple.com/sho...-camera-adapter?fnode=91
http://www.apple.com/sho...-camera-adapter?fnode=91

Ideally, the first one would be better in a home environment, as it would allow simultaneous charging of the iPad, and music output to the DAC. While the second one would not allow to do both things at once.

I would be wishing to be the guinea pig, in case you'd like to do some testing.

Cheers,

Andrea
Russ White  
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 27, 2016 6:19:24 PM(UTC)
Russ White

I just ordered one - I will give it a go with Amanero -> Hermes -> Cronus -> B3SE - Sync. :)
mrciave  
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 27, 2016 7:46:12 PM(UTC)
mrciave

Thanks a lot!

Actually, could you give it a try with the USB Receiver/DAC as well? I understand that the Amanero + Hermes + Cronus is a superior piece of kit, but it seems to work at 32bit only.

One application of my project is that I could feed the I2S signal after the reclocker to a Behringer DCX2496 (by modding it internally). Not sure if it has been done with Twisted Pear components yet, still have to search for that.

But anyway, the point is that the DCX is 24bit/96kHz, so not sure if the Cronus output can be reduced to 24bit. So if you could also test it with the USB Receiver/DAC (which is 24bit), it would be great. Probably I might end up with USB Receiver/DAC + Metronome to enter the DCX.

Anyway, looking forward to your test!
Russ White  
#6 Posted : Sunday, November 27, 2016 10:50:08 PM(UTC)
Russ White

I am not sure I even still have one of those to test. :) But I imagine it should work for both if it works for one.
Russ White  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2016 10:49:41 PM(UTC)
Russ White

I can confirm that the Lightning to USB 3 camera adapter works very well indeed for Amanero. I would expect it work with others as well.

Cheers!
Russ

Edited by moderator Thursday, December 1, 2016 6:11:27 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

mrciave  
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 1, 2016 9:38:35 PM(UTC)
mrciave

Sounds great! Thanks for the test. So time to plan the system and then place some order!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed