Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
thomaspf  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 23, 2009 8:35:58 PM(UTC)
thomaspf

Groups: Member

Hi Russ,

you might remember that I fried my Buffalo/IVY combination by subjecting it to 48V phantom power. Brian was so nice to replace the opamps but my measurements seem to indicate that something else got impacted. This is a 24/96 rendered 1Khz signal through a Buffalo/IVY/JT2 combo.

UserPostedImage

No I am trying to figure out the best way to finish the project. Do you have some measurements you could share with the new combined board? I saw some graphs from you on the DIYaudio site but nothing for this combination. If you have a standard set of measurements of THD, THD+N, DNR etc. that would also be great.

I left some space in the box for an AC1 and a future 24/96 hires USB interface :-)

Cheers

Thomas
Russ White  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 23, 2009 8:50:14 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Thomas, I would not worry much. It looks like your graph could be showing more the limitation of you sound card than your DAC. :)

Does it sound good?
thomaspf  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 23, 2009 9:22:52 PM(UTC)
thomaspf

Russ White wrote:
Thomas, I would not worry much. It looks like your graph could be showing more the limitation of you sound card than your DAC. :)

Does it sound good?

It does sound pretty good but my Lavry DA10 connected to the same sound card (ESI Juli@) shows a very different picture. This is an older graph but you get the idea. I wanted to check this out before taking my box to work and connecting it to our audio precision gear. You probably saw my earlier post that the Buffalo does not perform so well on the udial clip but who knows what is happening since I obviously fried it.

UserPostedImage

What can we expect from the new Buffalo 32/IVY2 combination?

Cheers

Thomas

Edited by user Monday, March 23, 2009 10:14:20 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Russ White  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2009 10:03:07 AM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Yes you could be right, If those images are truly apples to apples, then I would guess something is wrong on your Buffalo. I really don't know even where to tell you to look.
thomaspf  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2009 12:10:57 PM(UTC)
thomaspf

Russ White wrote:
Yes you could be right, If those images are truly apples to apples, then I would guess something is wrong on your Buffalo. I really don't know even where to tell you to look.

Unfortunately they are apples to apples. I did another one with one channel byppassed via capacitors directly from the Buffalo and it seems the IVY is really gone but there is still a lot of high frequency noise coming directly out of the Buffalo.

UserPostedImage

At this point I'd be happy to just upgrade to the combined board if that is my safest path to high performance. Seeing some numbers and graphs on that boards would be great. I will be a lot more careful next time round.

Cheers

Thomas
Rss Feed  Atom Feed