Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
tacobender  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 14, 2016 6:07:22 PM(UTC)
tacobender

Groups: Member
United States

I'm planning on building a BIIISE in the next couple of months. Building digital stuff is all new to me so there's obviously a lot to learn. I'm still doing my homework and learning all the in's and out's before putting together a BOM. All the documentation on here is excellent so thanks to the TPA guys for all their support.

I'd like to integrate a bluetooth receiver into my build so that I can stream audio from an Android or iPhone using Pandora. I know this won't be reference quality but the ease of streaming through bluetooth is just nice to have.

Has anyone built a Buffalo DAC-based system that is like this? There are obviously a lot of bluetooth receivers out there and they have digital outs that should work, but I've searched the forums here and on DIYaudio and found almost nothing. I see there are some threads that talk about using bluetooth for volume control but nothing about as audio source. If anyone has any suggestions if this is feasible or build threads please point me in the right direction.

Thanks.
LeonvB  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 14, 2016 7:07:55 PM(UTC)
LeonvB

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 45 post(s)
I suggest you google for something like bluetooth to i2s chip.
1st hit I got was: http://www.mouser.com/ds...ATASHEET-1.0r-519155.pdf
francolargo  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 30, 2016 6:57:44 PM(UTC)
francolargo

You could have both "reference quality" plus Bluetooth convenience (perhaps not at the same time) if you render with a BBB having bluetooth enabled. Buffalo is a very nice DAC; it seems under-used if only fed via bluetooth. But the great thing about DYI is that each can suit themselves.
tacobender  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 13, 2016 6:20:52 AM(UTC)
tacobender

United States

Thanks for the tips. I got my DAC assembled and working last week (sounds great!). Of course the PC that I was using to feed it died about 4 days after I built the DAC. I went ahead and bought a new PC, an Intel NUC. It's a pretty cool little HTPC although a bit pricey.

After some research I found out about Roon (music server) + Tidal (high res streaming service) and it seemed like a better solution than streaming via bluetooth. I've got trial accounts on Roon and Tidal right now the way they integrate everything together is perfect. The cost of a lifetime subscription for Roon is pretty crazy at around $500 but I'll probably end up paying it because it's so clean and nice to use. The nice part is that you can run both your own music library and tidal through the Roon app seamlessly from basically any Android or iOS device.

I'm very happy with everything right now and I'll probably permanently ditch the bluetooth receiver idea :P
Rss Feed  Atom Feed