Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
defterGoose  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 9, 2016 7:00:58 PM(UTC)
defterGoose

Groups: Member

Hey guys,

I'm just wondering what opinions/experience I can field on the issue of leaving gear on all the time. My understanding is that a lot of people advocate leaving solid-state gear on all the time in order to avoid transients on startup which shorten components' lifetimes. I have sympaticos and buffalo3, which are listened to daily between music/media.

What do you guys do? I'm not really concerned about power consumption, but my placid HD runs rather hot, and I'm a little nervous to leave it completely unattended overnight (one of my 220 heatsinks was nearly untouchable with the lid 0ff). My sympatico 'sinks are pretty oversized and I haven't noticed them get hotter than a little warm. My other concern besides transients is heat-cycling; although we're talking about safely sub-100C temps, I can't help but thinking that daily cycling could eventually wear on the board and make it prone to delaminate or something. Maybe it's better to just leave the oven on?
Russ White  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 9, 2016 10:43:06 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Well I have been using mine for years - and I always turn it off when I am finished - unless I forget. :) The components should be just fine.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed