Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
defterGoose  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2016 4:03:44 AM(UTC)
defterGoose

Groups: Member

This is in reference to my previous post http://www.twistedpearau...urned-Out-My-Buffalo-III

Issue 1: I got replacement 1.2v Trident and AVCC module after deciding I had fried mine (probably shorted the accessory supply to GND briefly thru input selector switch). I received them and tested the outputs of all 4 regs before reinstalling on the board. Everything was good. Now, when I measure them on the board (yes, carefully), everything is good, except the AVCC (this new ostensibly "unfried" one is AVCC_SR_1.0). One leg is measuring 3.37V (maybe kinda ok?), and the other is reading pretty low at 2.7V. Does someone know if this is indicative of the sabre being fried on the analog side? I can't imagine it will give the IVY good output even if I can get the inputs working. Russ/Brian, have you seen this before? I will buy another BIII, or source a new chip if I must (I definitely did something the board(s) did not like), but I'm concerned that maybe I got an improperly calibrated AVCC? It's a shunt reg so AVCC would sag if one or both sides weren't supplying enough current, right? In any case, the potential for a fried sabre provides a nice segue to my second problem.

Issue 2: No Lock LED. My optical source was working with my previous DAC and is shooting light down the cable (PS4 source says 44.1/48k LPCM. I've got spdif-4, sidecar, toslink, coax input-wise. All J1-12 cleanly balled with solder for stereo operation. Ribbon cables are good, and I've got VD on the sidecar. I ordered the BIII back in 2012 so I'm pretty sure I have the old firmware version. The integration guide is a little bit ambiguous about what this means. It says it is written for the "standard firmware as shipped with the Buffalo III as of March 2013". By my interpretation, that could mean the guide is for either the old OR the new firmware. Well, I know my buff shipped with all DIPs ON in 2/2012, and that's about it. I think ON means ON for me, right? Even so, there are only a couple relevant DIP switches for the inputs, right? Well, I've tried pretty much every combination of those I can think of, and nothing is working. Input selector board is powered and working, but has no effect on lock, regardless of SW2-1,2 settings. I've also rebuilt my TOSLINK module to output TTL level, and tried connecting it to D1 directly; nuthin doin. To be fair, I'm not sure I'm doing this part correctly; im connecting the OUT/GRD from toslink to D1 pins on BIII.

Oh yeah, my VD is sitting steady at 5.15V

Attached is a pic, maybe someone with the same version/setup can point out the error in my ways d'oh!

p.s. I have a scope, can someone explain how best to measure the output of the toslink module and/or rca jack to test the signal integrity?

B3 resized.jpg (333kb) downloaded 18 time(s).

Edited by user Friday, January 29, 2016 8:07:16 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Brian Donegan  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2016 10:05:44 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
Issue 1:

This does not bode well for the ES9018. It sounds like the chip is damaged if one side of the AVCC is drooping.

Issue 2:

This could be a few things. First, if the analog section of the chip is damages (see above) you may not see lock.

Also, we recommend direct stacking of the SideCar/SPDIF-4 rather than using ribbon cables, as we have seen too many strange issues with the ribbons. It is possible to have it work flawlessly, but also possible to have noise issues. Don't think this is related, but it's something.

If you got your DAC < 2013, is has the older firmware. If it shipped to you after March 2013, or you got an upgrade, it is the new version.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed