Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
stewart  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 7, 2015 7:21:25 PM(UTC)
stewart

Groups: Member

I'm trying to find a good solution to be able to use the Buffalo DAC for audio streaming through a chromecast while watching movies/TV.

Using the optical out of the TV (which is active when getting a signal from the chromecast) and running that to the DAC is an option. However, the DAC is set up to use USB input right now and I don't have a mux.

In the end that may be the only option, but would there be a way to use the ethernet connectivity features of the Amanero USB to send audio that way?

The biggest issue with chromecast is that it doesn't allow audio out from your computer while you're sending the video stream to the chromecast.

fernfrost  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 7, 2015 9:35:27 PM(UTC)
fernfrost

Sweden

I have been playing with this idea myself.

Some hdmi switches have audio out, usually spdif. That means that the hdmi receiver chip has a spdif out pin and in some cases i2s out.
This is hard to know without buying one and cracking it open.

My idea was to buy a hdmi switch and try to route the i2s audio from hdmi receiver chip to the dac. The hdmi video would then be passed though to your display.

Had a discussion about this on: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/280206-hdmi-input-digital-audio-out.html

Edited by user Saturday, November 7, 2015 9:36:08 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Brian Donegan  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 8, 2015 12:48:01 AM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
The S/PDIF / Optical output will always be down-sampled.

If you can find one with I2S, and you can tap it, that would be the way to go.

I do not know of any with exposed I2S, but then again, I have not really looked. It would likely be a unit that includes a DAC chip and offers analog output.

The HDMI licensing restricts exposure of full bandwidth digital audio signals, so you definitely won't find anything with actual I2S output.
gwikse  
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 8, 2015 3:51:29 PM(UTC)
gwikse

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I have been using chromecast since the first edition came out. My experience is that it is only a gizmo for mobile phones etc (or other units running on a battery). Using Chrome web browser and tab-cast does not give you good sound. I have 3 different HDMI switches that I have tried, one with analog audio out, and two with digital outputs. A HDMI connection from the PC will allways sound better, as you can control the signal from the PC (wasapi, asio4all etc). My cromecast is rarely used anymore.

Since the cromecast only works from google chrome browser, the signal never goes through windows sound management, so you can not route sound through a different sound output than the cromecast if you cast from the PC.

Edit: and in your case you cant switch to a different input then the usb audio (wich has to be connected by a cable anyways) so I dont see the point in having a wireless picture connection instead of using HDMI...

Edited by user Sunday, November 8, 2015 3:55:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

stewart  
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 8, 2015 4:14:19 PM(UTC)
stewart

I have a desktop not too far from the tv that I could run an HDMI cord from, but the main consideration is the convenience of being able to change everything remotely in front of the TV with a laptop. Dual outputs to the TV and computer monitor also doesn't work seamlessly and were a little clunky when I tried it.

If there was a way to control the desktop from a laptop remotely that would solve the chromecast problem and allow for controlling music remotely.

So far I haven't found a good solution for that.
fernfrost  
#6 Posted : Sunday, November 8, 2015 4:32:53 PM(UTC)
fernfrost

Sweden

Originally Posted by: stewart Go to Quoted Post
I have a desktop not too far from the tv that I could run an HDMI cord from, but the main consideration is the convenience of being able to change everything remotely in front of the TV with a laptop. Dual outputs to the TV and computer monitor also doesn't work seamlessly and were a little clunky when I tried it.

If there was a way to control the desktop from a laptop remotely that would solve the chromecast problem and allow for controlling music remotely.

If you are running linux you could use Pulse Audio. Its built-in to ubuntu. It allows you to turn another computer into a virtual soundcard. You play and control whatever you want on your laptop and the audio is played through your desktop.

The functionality is really good but I haven't investigated if there is any compression or downsamplling.

I'd be really interested to hear about your findings.
gwikse  
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 8, 2015 5:16:08 PM(UTC)
gwikse

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: stewart Go to Quoted Post

Yea I know. I hate that remote desctop log you out on the machine you connect to. I now use Unified remote for the simple tasks from my phone. But I agree that mirroring would be a much better solution. I assume that the problem with mirroring that way would be synsing the systems.

As for the multiple monitor setup I am using duplicate desctop and virtual resolution (AMD gfx) on the screen that is low res (1080p to 2540x1440).

If you find a remote desctop system that does not log you out let me know.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed