Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
naa3e5  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 19, 2009 12:51:19 PM(UTC)
naa3e5

Groups: Member

I am preparing to build the Sabre (I only need to Sabre32 module) and was pondering the layount inside the enclosure and what size enclosure I actually need. What modules are ok to stack vertically? Can the Trafos be oriented vertically? The mudules I have are the USB input, 4:1 Mux, plus whatever the Buffalo32 kit includes (IVY 2 / Buffalo / 2 PSU's). I will be using sheilded aircraft instrumentation wiring for all the runs :) Any other precautions to take? I have looked at other pictures but haven't seen any pictures in a stacked config!
Brian Donegan  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 19, 2009 1:03:40 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
I would be cautious planning your Buffalo32 layout before the boards are designed, as they will likely be larger than the current dac.

To answer your question, yes, they can all be stacked. The transformers can be oriented any way you want them, but note that toroidal transformers emit the most flux along the axis of the hole. That said, I recently built a Buffalo in a Hammond 1455 case and mounted the power supplies like this:

UserPostedImage

No problems with EMI. (Those are 7VA Amveco transformers. The blue tape is there for layout purposes only.)

The only general precaution I can think of is to keep the I2S data lines away from the power supply lines.

Edited by user Thursday, February 19, 2009 1:04:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

naa3e5  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 19, 2009 7:21:49 PM(UTC)
naa3e5

thanks! I already ordered a HiFi2000 case before the Sabre to Sabre32 transition was announced so now I am just preparing for a little damage control in case since the case was 79Euro. It should be large enough, its 330mm by 280mm.
pelliott123  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 20, 2009 5:58:52 AM(UTC)
pelliott123

naa3e5: may I ask where did you order the HiFi2000 case from, i really like the look of this casework but I could only find overseas distribution

Brian: looks like you are using the case for heatsink for the VR's. Can they all be bolted to the same metal or are the insulated some how

thanks
Brian Donegan  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 20, 2009 6:01:33 AM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

I used the standard insulators when I mounted them for real.
naa3e5  
#6 Posted : Friday, February 20, 2009 6:09:56 AM(UTC)
naa3e5

I bought it fo them direct , they are based in Italy, it was hassle free, I ordered it, and it got here ~2-3 weeks later in perfect condition, I plan on using them again, and Front Panel Express will engrave and cut out panels as well, to look like the Buffalo DAC that is in the completed projects forum.
pelliott123  
#7 Posted : Friday, February 20, 2009 9:30:32 AM(UTC)
pelliott123

Thanks guys for answering my question.
Brian your mounting procedure makes a lot of since, saves lots of space, I will borrow your ideas for my next build.

I am having a bit of a problem with one of my PS. Voltages were rock steady on both the Buffalo and IVY supplies for the first few weeks.
When I added the MUX it brought the 6VDC supply down to just over 5V and it will not adjust up. When I removed the MUX power leads I still could not adjust the voltage back up to 6VDC, any suggestions?

naa3e5:
Its hard to believe that there is not a decent casework supplier for DIY in the US, I searched for quite awhile.
I have used Front Panel Express and they are GREAT!
Brian Donegan  
#8 Posted : Friday, February 20, 2009 9:36:45 AM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Quote:
I am having a bit of a problem with one of my PS. Voltages were rock steady on both the Buffalo and IVY supplies for the first few weeks.
When I added the MUX it brought the 6VDC supply down to just over 5V and it will not adjust up. When I removed the MUX power leads I still could not adjust the voltage back up to 6VDC, any suggestions?

Do you have the same problem with no modules connected to the power supply? Trying to identify if the problem iis internal to the power supply.
pelliott123  
#9 Posted : Friday, February 20, 2009 12:17:07 PM(UTC)
pelliott123

Ok I will try that tonight when I get home.
Since I am ordering a bunch of stuff digikey anyway, I included a couple of spare trimmers, since I read others here have had similar problems
There are no problems with the 6.6VDC side it still adjusts properly
Brian Donegan  
#10 Posted : Friday, February 20, 2009 12:33:10 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

My best guess at the moment is a loose wire someplace, which can easily happen when connections are changed. Not sure which wire would cause this off the top of my head, but worth looking around.
Russ White  
#11 Posted : Saturday, February 21, 2009 8:44:55 AM(UTC)
Russ White

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Try placing a wire accross the 10R resistors on the 6V side. It could be that side of the supply is drawing a lot of current and causing too much voltage drop across the 10R resistors. If jumping those resistors helps then you can replace them with something lower, say 2.2R or even just a jumper :)

Cheers!
Russ

Edited by user Saturday, February 21, 2009 8:46:19 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

pelliott123  
#12 Posted : Sunday, February 22, 2009 8:32:39 AM(UTC)
pelliott123

Thanks Russ and Brian
Problem solved!
I used a carpet bombing techique by taking things apart, resoldering all, and put things back together. Both VA and VD adjust over a wide range with all boards hooked up.

I am most pleased how things sound with this unit, and all who have heard it agree. I do plan to go with IVY-2. Will it be better or a necessity to have two power supplies, one for each IVY-2 boards. Just planning at this point.
Russ White  
#13 Posted : Sunday, February 22, 2009 11:05:24 AM(UTC)
Russ White

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
It will be fine to power two of the IVY II from a single LCBPS.

Very glad you got it sorted.

Cheers!
Russ
Rss Feed  Atom Feed