Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
liscio  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 26, 2006 6:35:41 AM(UTC)
liscio

Groups: Customer

Hey Guys,

Seeing how I now have to replace my gainclone (decided to arc-weld itself while integrating my Kookaburra), and given that the Kookaburra kit was very well-organized, the RevC is seriously piquing my interest.

What are the approximate dimensions of an assembled board (LxWxH) with/without its mounting hardware? Ideally I'd like to try and integrate it into my existing case, and at the worst case, try to salvage the case parts I still have on hand.

Also, can I hope to power 2xRevC monoblocks, and a Kookaburra, with a 22V/rail transformer (5.1A/ch, IIRC)?

Thanks,

Chris
liscio  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 26, 2006 9:16:05 AM(UTC)
liscio

Ah -- tracked down the actual specs on my Transformer.

http://www.alliedelec.co...amp;sid=453FFA807D3CE17F

It's 225VA, 22V/rail. It's 2V short per rail from what you guys are recommending for the RevC, but I'd hate to have to ditch it, considering what it cost.

Once I know I can use this transformer just fine, I'll be pulling the trigger on a RevC order...

Thanks,

Chris
Brian Donegan  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 26, 2006 11:34:36 AM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
I was about to tell you that you could run the RevC on 22V secondaries, though you would be down on power, especially into 8-ohm loads, but then I saw the 225VA rating. You could also run on 225VA with 24-25V secondaries, but they will sag at higher output. I think the combination of low rails and low VA may mean that you can't do it, however. d'oh!

Maybe you just need to replace the bridge diodes on your GC?
liscio  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 26, 2006 12:24:07 PM(UTC)
liscio

Dang -- I was afraid of that.

I'll have to attack the problem head-on, and try to diagnose what went wrong, and how I can get my amp up & running again.

I guess the absolute worst case here is that I shell out for another transformer for an entirely new amp project, but I have to think positively here... :)

Chris
Brian Donegan  
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 26, 2006 1:20:39 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

This place: http://www.tubesandmore.com/ has 300VA Hammond trafos for like $20.

Here it is
liscio  
#6 Posted : Friday, October 27, 2006 6:12:01 AM(UTC)
liscio

So tempting!!! :)

Actually, Hammond Mfg is nearby (about a 30m drive away), so I can order any transformer they make at my local electronics shop (3m drive away). It's not the cheapest price, but I can get whatever meets my needs.

Since I'm in Canada, the shipping + customs on buying a $20 transformer might start boosting the price closer to what I'd just pay here. :P

So, if I were starting from scratch (I could always use the existing transformer in a sub amp), and wanted to buy the ideal transformer for a Kookaburra + 2xRevC boards, I'd be best-advised to get a 400VA 24V dual secondary transformer, with 300VA being "good enough" and 500VA being "overkill"? This is what I gleaned from reading the diyaudio.com threads.

Edit: On second glance, Hammond's 182 series with 24V secondaries comes in either 300VA or 500VA. 300VA will probably cost quite a bit less, too.

Edit 2: On third glance, Hammond wants $90-ish Canadian for the 300VA, so that link you provided is actually a ridiculously great value, and I've triggered an order for one regardless -- thanks!

Chris

Edited by user Friday, October 27, 2006 7:48:17 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

squalor  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 26, 2007 1:33:55 PM(UTC)
squalor

Looks like a nice store. I have the Parts Express $7.00 special now but would like to run two toroids. Which Hammond would you recomend from Antique Electronic Supply for that setup?
Do you see anything at Apex Jr that the My_Ref would like two of? I ask because I am thinking of ordering heat sinks from them. http://www.apexjr.com/images/U_HEATSINK.JPG
Brian Donegan  
#8 Posted : Friday, January 26, 2007 3:29:55 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Hammond P-T180Q50 (25Vx2, 300VA)

See "Here it is" link above.
squalor  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 6, 2007 7:58:13 AM(UTC)
squalor

d'oh! I have alot to learn. Please, just a few more questions and then I will go start a thread more suitable to my experience level.
On my generic P.E. trafo I see two orange wires on one side. Two blue wires and one black on the other. What goes where. Where and what should I measure with the meter to test the trafo ?
How far away from the boards can the transformer be before bad things happen ? Like, can I make active speakers with a centrally mounted transformer ?
Brian Donegan  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, February 6, 2007 8:04:54 AM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

On that trafo, the two Orange wires are the Primaries (to mains AC), and the Blue/Black wires are the secondaries. The two Blue wires are 24V and the black is 0V (center tapped).

You should be able to use a decent length of wire to connect the trafo to the RevCs, as it is still AC (travels distances much better than DC). I would test it this way... Attach three wires to the secondaries about the length you are considering, and measure the voltage at the ends. Compare this to the voltages without the extended wires attached. I would recommend, if you decide to go this route, to use at least 16ga wire (bigger is better) to reduce resistance and associated losses.

Be careful. I would also recommend fuses on the primaries, and each of the secondaries where they leave the transformer.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed