Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
trav  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 20, 2014 7:44:53 AM(UTC)
trav

Groups: Member
United States

I'm nearing completion of my biiise with legato. I am interested in adding the sympatico amp but have a few questions. Not knowing a ton about analog audio components, what is a preamp and does it do anything other than small gain and volume control? Searching, it seems the legato and ivy add sufficient gain. The volumite to the ess9018 is obviously fine for 16 bit audio, but does it depreciate the quality for 24bit? What about dsd? Would the Joshua tree be as good for 16bit? Anyone do a listening test? I assume the JT would go between the I/v and the amp? Another question I have is about chassis material. Does it need to be metal or any other considerations such as em shielding? I had gotten neutrik connectors which mentioned grounding through chassis. Can I somehow ground them another way; or, what constitutes sufficient grounding? sorry for the beginner questions. Thank you for advice in advance.

LeonvB  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 20, 2014 2:08:23 PM(UTC)
LeonvB

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 45 post(s)
A preamp converts your signal so it is suitable to feed the poweramp. Preamps often have a volume control. The TPA I/V stages have an output signal that is ok for most poweramps, so you don't need to add anything else but the Volumite for volume control.

Internal processing of the ES9018 is 48 bits. Even at 32 bits, there should be more than enough room for proper attenuation.

Most people use a metal chassis, but other materials certainly could be used. EMI could be a problem, depending on your build and your choice of chassis. Without knowing more about your build it's virtually impossible to be specific.
thanks 1 user thanked LeonvB for this useful post.
trav on 12/22/2014(UTC)
trav  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 20, 2014 5:29:33 PM(UTC)
trav

United States

OK so the I/V stage takes the place of the preamp. That is what I gathered from searching, but just wanted to be clear. I had always had integrated amps before this project, so didn't know much. For some reason, I thought the es9018 did 32-bit volume conversion, so I was worried 24-bit audio might suffer. But, 48 bit is fine. However, I am still not sure how it would be possible to control the volume of DSD digitally bit-perfectly.

Basically, my build at the moment is I have all the soldering done on legato, placid bp, awaiting a replacement placid hd that I ruined, and biiise. I was pondering an amanero or diyinhk xmos. I may get the TOSLINK to feed the spdif for an airplay or bt receiver with optical out. Things check out to the extent I can check them. So, basically, normal build. Anyway, I found some articles on earthing, so I will figure it out. Thank you very much for helping my basic questions which I am sure people ask a lot.
Brian Donegan  
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 20, 2014 5:46:53 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
The digital volume control is the ES9018 will outperform most analog solutions, and I recommend it over the JT when possible, though the JT is a great solution.

As for grounding suggestions, I would keep the audio grounds isolated from your chairs grounds as much as possible. You definitely do not want to connect the connectors to the chassis ground at the connector... That would create multiple paths (aka ground loops).

thanks 1 user thanked Brian Donegan for this useful post.
trav on 12/22/2014(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed