Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
luca72c  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 1, 2014 12:08:10 AM(UTC)
luca72c

Groups: Member
Italy

Hello everibody, i am building a BIIIse DAC and i would like to use 2 OTTO-II boards to switch between 2 I2S, 1 Toslink and 1 SPDIF sources.
What would be the best configuration for switching, using also the inbuilt BIIIse IP_S switch?
I was thinking about 2 ways:
1) one OTTO-II board connected at SPDIF input for Toslink (consumer level) and SPDIF switching + one OTTO-II board connected at I2S input for switching between the 2 I2S sources + IP_S to switch between the 2 OTTOs;
2) SPDIF source connetced to SPDIF input and 2 OTTO-II boards connected to I2S input (one boards connected to the other board's input) for I2S and Toslink (TTL level) sources + IP_S to switch between the OTTOs and the SPDIF source.
What would be the best way? Or there is a third, better solution?

More: to power the OTTO-II boards could i use the same 5.25V Placid HD PSU that powers BIIIse? Would that cause a SQ loss? Or would it be better to use a separate 5V power supply?

Finally, i would need 3.3Vdc current output to power and control another multiplexer board i have, for another purpose inside the chassis - but i wouldn't like to add another PSU inside the chassis. Could i take 3.3Vdc out from BIIIse anywhere? Maybe via I2C connector 3.3V pin or via EXT_IO connector 1-2 pins?

Many thanks to you for this great DAC, i hope someone can help me to finish building it...
luca72c  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 3, 2014 2:14:27 AM(UTC)
luca72c

Italy

Nobody can answer these questions? It seems strange to me nobody ever faced similar problems... how did you solve them?
Brian Donegan  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 3, 2014 4:46:33 AM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
Sorry, missed this...

I would use method #1. You could use either a uC or a 2-deck rotary switch to control all three (Otto+Otto+IP_S)

You can use power from the same Placid, no problems.

You can tap 3.3V power for the I2C header. You just need to watch current consumption. Also, if your other board draws varying amounts of current, be sure to adjust the Placid to compensate (greater shunt current).

luca72c  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 3, 2014 6:10:11 AM(UTC)
luca72c

Italy

Thank you very much! Your answer is very useful to me!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed