Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jordo  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 17, 2014 5:49:08 PM(UTC)
Jordo

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi all,

I have a Teleporter hooked up to a Wave I/O.
Last week I changed the setup with the powersupplies to provide the Wave I/O with it's own source via a Placid HD instead of using USB power from the PC.

The teleporter got it's own seperate powersupply of 5VDC.
Whole week no problems but when my girlfriend powered the Teleporter and Wave I/O system today some kind of static noise was heard and than all sound went silent....

The Telporter's Powersupply was'nt delivering 5V anymore. Voltage seems dropped to 1,65V but as soon as I coupled the Teleporter off it regained it's 5V again.

I tried a different setup with the Placid connected but got the same result. The voltage dropped and no current was shunted anymore until I disconnected the Teleporter.

I think it's shorted somehow suddenly.

Can someone please advise me??

I am a little concerned and not shure how to prevent this the next time. I think the new powersupply blew something up....

Rgds,

Jordo

Edited by user Monday, November 17, 2014 9:21:51 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jordo  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 17, 2014 7:14:27 PM(UTC)
Jordo

It was this power Supply by the way:

Powersupply

230AC--> 5VDC
300mA

The Isolated GND from the Wave I/O was directly wired to the Ground of the Powersupply, completely floating.

In the earlier setup, when I used the Placid HD to power the Teleporter and the USB Power from the PC for the Wave I/O, I had the Isolated ground of the Wave I/O directly wired to the Placid's ground. That Ground was in connection with the Chassis....
I tought I would have improved the grounding circuit with the floating Ground Connection...

Edited by user Monday, November 17, 2014 9:30:36 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jordo  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 20, 2014 8:36:08 AM(UTC)
Jordo

Can someone advise me about the Power Supply?

The one I used; Will it be stable and clean enough? And with it's capacity of 300mA will it have sufficient acummulated power in store? I don't see large capacitors installed Eh?

Or do I rather use an extra Placid or LCDPS?

I have to order a new Teleporter Module so I might as well order another Power Supply with it.
Unless people can tell me it is'nt necassecary to use a perfect clean power source for the Teleporter. Or is it just even so important?

Thx in advance!

Jordo
LeonvB  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 20, 2014 7:17:41 PM(UTC)
LeonvB

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 45 post(s)
It's a very basic 7805 based PSU much like this one: http://www.circuitsonlin...dingen/78xx-voeding.html
I think the Placid is the better choice.
Brian Donegan  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 20, 2014 8:57:41 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
I don't think your power supply is the problem with the dead channel. Noise might make the signal noisier, but it should not kill it. A cleaner supply is better, but since the signal is differential, any common-mode noise *should* cancel out and not affect the output.

I am not sure what caused the channel to die. Could have been static, or some other incident. Impossible to tell at this point.
Jordo  
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 20, 2014 10:37:04 PM(UTC)
Jordo

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your reply Brian.

I do too think the Power Supply is okay. It builds up it's voltage instead of peaking out at startup.

I think I wired the grounds in the wrong way.
Is it true that the Vin (Input Signal Voltage) is 3,3 V? Cause I wired the Ground of the Vin on the Wave I/O's side directly to the ground of the 5V Power Supply.
I misinterpreted an advice of the Wave I/O develloper about the grounds and I think this is what might have gone wrong.

Funny though, is that is went well for more than a year in this 'test' setup. Must say something about the Placids quality ;)

I now have put the ground wire in the opposite contact of the Vin. (ref picture attached)
Also I have isolated the USB connector of the Wave I/O fron the Chassis. So the PC (which is the only device which is grounded of the set) is isolated.
Also I use a plastic stut to mount the Wave I/O to the chassis (at the Stud Hole which is connected to the USB connector)

I'm glad I can blame my girlfriend for it. All remotes and everything go into error when She touches the controls and now She pushed the final button XD

But for the Power Supply;
If you where planning to build without compromiss you should not relay on the CMR but ensure it's only a fail safe device :)

I will order another Placid HD with the Teleporter.

Thank you for the advise!

Jordo attached the following image(s):
Teleporter Wave io hookup.jpg (213kb) downloaded 25 time(s).
Wave IO Hookup Direct Ground.JPG (218kb) downloaded 23 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed