Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
dboy  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 3, 2014 1:08:35 PM(UTC)
dboy

Groups: Member

Hi,

I want to add the ability to switch between different sources to my Buffalo II build. I'd be grateful for any input on the following questions (which are rather basic but I've learned not to take anything for granted!):

1 - Mux/Demux seems capable of doing the job but will sound quality (introduced jitter) be more of a problem than with the more expensive Mux module?

2 - No S/PDIF transformers on Mux/Demux - will it be advantageous to add these somehow?

3 - I would like to add a single TOSLINK module - presumably it is OK to share a 5v power supply with Mux or Mux/Demux?

4 - How much will the quality of this power supply affect final sound? What characteristics should the supply ideally have?

Sorry for the noobish q's, am working on a tight budget but do not want to let down the SQ of the Buffalo I put together a few years ago now.

Dave.
mrciave  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 11, 2014 11:54:30 AM(UTC)
mrciave

Groups: Member

I have the same question, just my DAC is an OPUS one.

I already own the S/PDIF Transceiver. So I can go two routes:
- Replace it with a S/PDIF 4:1 MUX/Receiver
- Keep my receiver, but add in front a 4:1 Mux/Demux

I guess the question is also which chip has a higher sound quality? The Wolfson 8804 of the simple Transceiver, or the Cirrus Logic CS8416 of the 4:1 MUX/Receiver?

And a question to the OP: I'd also like to control the switches with Arduino, can you tell me how to do? Just get me started up is enough.

Andrea
Rss Feed  Atom Feed