Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
johanwahlberg  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 23, 2014 10:05:48 PM(UTC)
johanwahlberg

Groups: Member
Sweden

Hi,
I've been planning to get one of the kits with Opus DAC, SPDIF transceiver and LCDPS module.
I understand the LCDPS can power both the analog and digital side of the Opus DAC, as well as the digital (only side) of the SPDIF transceiver. My plan is to add a fourth custom module with a PGA2311 and an Arduino to control output volume and a source select relay to create a complete dac/preamp box.
Both the Arduino and PGA2311 needs a digital +5V supply wich I assume a can take from the same +7,5 V that powers the SPDIF and digital part of Opus.
PGA2311 is a digitally controlled volume attenuator and opamp (http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/sbos218a/sbos218a.pdf).
The PGA2311 then needs an additional +5 and -5V for its built in opamp.
My questions are:
1. Is it ok to parallell power from the digital side of LCDPS to Arduino and PGA2311 with regulation(7,5>5V) in between?
2. How can I source +-5V from LCDPS for the analog (opamp) side of the PGA2311? If I understand things correctly (I probably dont..) the LCDPS outputs two lines of +7,5V and two lines of GND(0V)? I can regulate +7,5V down to +5V, but how do I get -5V?
I have a DC/DC transformer which outputs 2x +-9V and 2x +-15V, but I'd prefer to use the LCDPS as my only power module.

PS. I'm a newbie. I really just want things to work and not interrested in hassling around too much. I chose the Opus kit because it seems reliabale, with good enough SQ, and relatively easy to implement.
dsolodov  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2014 2:50:57 AM(UTC)
dsolodov

United States

Quote:
Both the Arduino and PGA2311 needs a digital +5V supply wich I assume a can take from the same +7,5 V that powers the SPDIF and digital part of Opus.

7.5VDC != 5VDC. You would need extra DC-to-DC with it's own power and voltage requirements.

Quote:
1. Is it ok to parallell power from the digital side of LCDPS to Arduino and PGA2311 with regulation(7,5>5V) in between?

Yes, and you need to calculated the total power consumptions and make sure the current from LCDPS is sufficient.

Quote:
2. How can I source +-5V from LCDPS for the analog (opamp) side of the PGA2311? If I understand things correctly (I probably dont..) the LCDPS outputs two lines of +7,5V and two lines of GND(0V)?

You can not. LCDPS is basically two independent PSUs on a single board providing 2 positive voltages only. LCBPS or similar is required.

Quote:
I can regulate +7,5V down to +5V, but how do I get -5V?

LCBPS or similar is required.

Quote:
PS. I'm a newbie. I really just want things to work and not interrested in hassling around too much. I chose the Opus kit because it seems reliabale, with good enough SQ, and relatively easy to implement.

The default set works great. If you design in extra features, you probably need to understand what needs to be done.

Edited by user Monday, February 24, 2014 2:55:14 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DQ828  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2014 7:15:37 AM(UTC)
DQ828

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: johanwahlberg Go to Quoted Post
Hi,
I've been planning to get one of the kits with Opus DAC, SPDIF transceiver and LCDPS module.
I understand the LCDPS can power both the analog and digital side of the Opus DAC, as well as the digital (only side) of the SPDIF transceiver. My plan is to add a fourth custom module with a PGA2311 and an Arduino to control output volume and a source select relay to create a complete dac/preamp box.
PGA2311 is a digitally controlled volume attenuator and opamp (http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/sbos218a/sbos218a.pdf).
The PGA2311 then needs an additional +5 and -5V for its built in opamp.
My questions are:
2. How can I source +-5V from LCDPS for the analog (opamp) side of the PGA2311? If I understand things correctly (I probably dont..) the LCDPS outputs two lines of +7,5V and two lines of GND(0V)? I can regulate +7,5V down to +5V, but how do I get -5V?
I have a DC/DC transformer which outputs 2x +-9V and 2x +-15V, but I'd prefer to use the LCDPS as my only power module.

The Arduino Mega I used recommended a higher voltage than 5V, I'd check you may be able to run 7.5V straight into it.

johanwahlberg  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2014 8:07:26 AM(UTC)
johanwahlberg

Sweden

Thank you. Arduino wants 5V which is easily regulated.
The issue is the +-5V to the PGA2311. Do you have any suggestions on a simple approach to this? Sounds to me the easiest way is to add a LCBPS. If so, can I parallell wire it from the transformer with the LCDPS?
The transformer outputs 2x +-9V at 0.8A each and 2x +-15V at 0.5A each.
Brian Donegan  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 25, 2014 4:02:46 AM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
Thank you. Arduino wants 5V which is easily regulated.
The issue is the +-5V to the PGA2311. Do you have any suggestions on a simple approach to this? Sounds to me the easiest way is to add a LCBPS.

Yes.

Quote:
If so, can I parallell wire it from the transformer with the LCDPS?
The transformer outputs 2x +-9V at 0.8A each and 2x +-15V at 0.5A each.

No. That will result in a short. You need a second transformer.

johanwahlberg  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 25, 2014 8:21:20 AM(UTC)
johanwahlberg

Sweden

Okay, not even with its second secondary? Two (+9,-0 and -9,+0) are used by LCDPS. I still have +15,-0 and -15,+0 available from the transformer.

OR

Can I use just the LCBPS with all three modules?
Brian Donegan  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 25, 2014 3:35:20 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
Okay, not even with its second secondary? Two (+9,-0 and -9,+0) are used by LCDPS. I still have +15,-0 and -15,+0 available from the transformer.

OR

Can I use just the LCBPS with all three modules?

Ah, I missed that. You can use the 15V taps for the bipolar supply. Note, however, that the current rating is a little low, and may lead to other problems.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed