Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
ommapop  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 27, 2006 2:52:30 PM(UTC)
ommapop

Groups: Customer

Am going to use "Kook" to drive four Marschand XP-1 crossover boards, all PCB's will be on the same chassis. Am uncertain as to grounding the preamp to the chassis. I think a ground connection using the input jack for the signal, and a connection from the power ground to the chassis. Your thoughts please!

Pete
Brian Donegan  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 27, 2006 3:23:40 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
My personal opinion is that you should keep your audio ground isloated from the chassis and from mains ground.

I like to run the mains ground direct to the chassis, and keep the audio ground seperate. I only tie signal ground to power ground on the secondary side of the transformer, and do not tie the secondary power ground to the chassis ground.

So, for the kook, I would set it up as if it were standalone with no connection from it's ground to the chassis, and connect signal to each X-Over. I woulod ten set up each X-Over if they were standalone (without connecting their signal grounds to the chassis).

Does this answer your question?
ommapop  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 27, 2006 4:30:12 PM(UTC)
ommapop

Brian thanks for the quick response. If I understand you correctly the only connection to chassis ground is at the mains input and the signal ground "floats through" the stages remaining isolated from the chassis! Yes?

Pete
Brian Donegan  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 27, 2006 9:14:53 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
Yes. The Kook ties signal ground to it's power ground, as your x-overs likely do as well. Connecting each of the devices also to the chassis ground would surely result in a ground loop. So, float the signal ground.
ommapop  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 28, 2006 5:25:16 AM(UTC)
ommapop

Thanks again Brian!

Pete
usman125  
#6 Posted : Saturday, September 28, 2013 5:24:38 AM(UTC)
usman125

Groups: Member

mains ground direct to the chassis, and keep the audio ground seperate. I only tie signal ground to power ground on the secondary side of the transformer, and do not tie the secondary power ground to the chassis ground.

So, for the kook, I would set it up as if it were standalone with no connection from it's ground to the chassis, and connect signal to each X-Over. I woulod ten set up each X-Over if they were standalone (without connecting their signal grounds to the chassis).

Does this answer your questio

Prep4sure.com comptia sample questions and training exam prep certificate online vce Sy0-401

Edited by user Thursday, January 21, 2016 6:44:31 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DQ828  
#7 Posted : Monday, September 30, 2013 9:04:46 AM(UTC)
DQ828

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: usman125 Go to Quoted Post
mains ground direct to the chassis, and keep the audio ground seperate. I only tie signal ground to power ground on the secondary side of the transformer, and do not tie the secondary power ground to the chassis ground.

Does this answer your questio

The last post was 6 years agoAngel
Rss Feed  Atom Feed