Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
steinholien  
#21 Posted : Saturday, March 3, 2012 2:04:46 PM(UTC)
steinholien

Groups: Member

I havent played alot with these things, but I am pretty sure this is right:

PCM Bit clock - pin 6
Word clock - pin 4
Data - pin 5
D-gnd - pin 8

DSD Bit clock - pin 7
Data left - pin 5
Data right - pin 4
D-gnd - pin 8

Connections to Buffalo or Sidecar:
Pin 4 to D1/LRCK (common for both PCM and DSD)
Pin 5 to D2 (common for both PCM and DSD)
Pin 8 to GND (common for both PCM and DSD)
Pin 6 and 7 to BCK/DCK (different--> need switch)

As long as you find some good spots to solder your wires, it seems like it is easier to mod the 3910 than the 1920. You only need 5 wires and only need to switch two of them.
SCompRacer  
#22 Posted : Saturday, March 3, 2012 2:37:20 PM(UTC)
SCompRacer

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Wow! You are a genius! Thank you so much! I didn't get as far as you did. :( I anxiously await for the Teleporter modules to be available. I could also attempt to duplicate what MrMajestic has done. I am guessing the PCM/DSD switch will still be needed with the Teleporter?

Edited by user Saturday, March 3, 2012 2:40:14 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Russ White  
#23 Posted : Sunday, March 4, 2012 6:58:35 AM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Teleporters are being made right now, so it won't be long at all. :)
SCompRacer  
#24 Posted : Sunday, March 4, 2012 2:08:14 PM(UTC)
SCompRacer

I hope you make enough to go around...... ;)

I attached some wires per steinholien’s suggestion. Not my best or neatest work but no shorts and CD and SACD still play using the 3910's RCA outs.

UserPostedImage

I attached the wires to four SMD resistors that trace to pin 4,5, 6 and 7 of the PCM1796 chip. The ground (8) was picked up on one side of that cap. But no joy with the wires attached to the Sidecar; it won’t play CD or SACD. The relay clicks on the Sidecar when selected and it pulls another 15 or so mA when selected. The wires are connected between the chip input and the resistors/cap. Circuit 8 comes out and around to the cap lead the Black wire is attached to. I get input through the 4 channel S/PIF input board with the Sidecar in the circuit and the Sidecar is not selected with the input switch.

After digging deeper in the data sheet I am confident I had good circuit connect information. Maybe one meter is too long for the wires?

Russ, will I stil need a PCM/SACD switch on the Denon with the Teleporter? Currently I only connect [either] pin 6 or 7 to the Sidecar for CD or SACD. I don't have both connected at the same time. Again, neither work, lock LED doesn't come on or flicker. Jumper SW2-8 "ON" for input remapping.

My wiring is

pin 4 - Brown
pin 5 - Green
pin 6 - Orange PCM Bit Clock
pin 7 - Blue DSD
Pin 8 - Black

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Tuesday, March 6, 2012 4:01:00 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

steinholien  
#25 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 7:36:42 AM(UTC)
steinholien

1m long cables are most likely too long. Seems that most recommend no more than 10cm... Difficult to get them that short untill you have the teleporter I guess. But try to make them as short as you can, and perhaps some shielding could help.

I am pretty sure you will need to switch the bitclocks. I think DSD and PCM uses different bitclocks
SCompRacer  
#26 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 4:04:51 PM(UTC)
SCompRacer

I shortened the wires to ~ 30cm (12-13 inches) and it still doesn't work. That is the shortest I can go without flipping things upside down or sideways. With CD playing, voltage at the Denon board, pin 5 data, and through the data wire is ~ 1.6v DC. Too low for a B III Sidecar input? Not sure what the Denon 1920 has for v out. I'll just have to wait for the Teleporter's and give them a try.

I also verified that each terminal on the flat connecting cable has continuity. I have some longer standoffs on the way to support the edge of the Sidecar that is hanging over open space.

I have an extra Sidecar board with relays that I damaged when I attempted to desolder and remove the double wide header. I can adapt that to do PCM/DSD switching in the Denon like MrMajestic has done.

Edited by user Monday, March 5, 2012 4:19:30 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

SCompRacer  
#27 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2012 12:40:11 PM(UTC)
SCompRacer

Good suggestion on the shielding. I wrapped the wires in the foil they had around them in the larger cable I extracted them from but it didn't help. Still doesn't work. I'm lost as to what exactly prevents it from working.
steinholien  
#28 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2012 2:06:57 PM(UTC)
steinholien

Might be that the wires is still to long. Your Buff is of course set up correctly? Input remapping "on", no PCM/DSD jumpers etc. If shielding is an issue, you can improve that by connecting the shield to chassi ground in the DAC.
SCompRacer  
#29 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2012 2:29:36 PM(UTC)
SCompRacer

Yes on the input remapping. That is the only dipswitch on the BIII board set to on. Only jumpers on B III board are J1 to J12 to join outputs. I'll just have to wait for the Teleporters (hoping they make it work) and wonder how MrMajestic was so lucky to get by without them. ;)

Edited by user Tuesday, March 6, 2012 2:30:11 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

glt  
#30 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2012 10:42:57 PM(UTC)
glt

Even if you got noise in your lines you will get some sound. Try connecting straight into BIII inputs and set the BIII to manual I2S/DSD. With input remapping on or off, you should get some sound.

Edited by user Tuesday, March 6, 2012 10:45:13 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

SCompRacer  
#31 Posted : Sunday, March 11, 2012 12:10:50 AM(UTC)
SCompRacer

glt, I connected the wires direct to the BIII input and PCM and DSD work out of the Denon DVD3910. Lock LED shines brightly. Sounds grand! Kewl!

I need to change the resistor on the Sidecar for it to work with the switch module. There, cross post fixed.

Edited by user Monday, March 12, 2012 12:33:00 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

headrott  
#32 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2012 12:37:52 AM(UTC)
headrott

SCompRacer wrote:
glt, I connected the wires direct to the BIII input and PCM and DSD work out of the Denon DVD3910. Lock LED shines brightly. Sounds grand! Kewl! I do some tests with the Sidecar off the DAC board and the relays softly click but don't apply the contacts hard enough to get continuity through the relays. Hit the Sidecar B terminal with 5 volts and I do get continuity through the relays (PCM/DSD pins to corresponding header pins). I had connected the Sidecar Base terminal to one of the selector switch LED headers like it says in the manual. I only get 1.9v off that header pin (where the board is numbered 1 - 4). Doesn't sound like enough V to trip the relays.

UserPostedImage

This was a problem I had with a relay board I was using to switch PCM from my Denon DVD-5910 and my DSD tapped DVD-1920 going to my DAC. The relays would trip one way, but not back. I was not using the sidecar though as I have the Buffalo II. I am using a relay board with 2 I2S (one is PCM and the other DSD) inputs and an I2S output to the Buffalo II. I would get a lock with the DSD signal when I did the toggle switch I installed in the front of my DAC chassis, but then it would not switch the relays back to PCM again. I thought it might be not enough voltage coming from the LCDPS that I was pulling dual power for the relay board and powering the LED for the power switch installed in my chassis. I have another LCDPS now but have yet to install it and see if it makes a difference.
Where are you pulling the Voltage from for the sidecar?

Greg
SCompRacer  
#33 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2012 12:35:53 PM(UTC)
SCompRacer

headrott wrote:
Where are you pulling the Voltage from for the sidecar?

Greg

Greg, through the ribbon cable. Placid HD power supply shunting 40-50mA. I need to change the supplied resistor on the Sidecar for it to work off the lower voltage of the LED header off the switch module.

Edited by user Monday, March 12, 2012 12:36:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

sigpaw  
#34 Posted : Thursday, October 4, 2012 6:13:35 AM(UTC)
sigpaw

Sony DVPCX985 Mod.

I've got one of those "nifty" old 400 Disc Jukeboxes that supports DSD playback. The idea being I won't need to rip my SACDs if they are in a Jukebox (convenience factor here). The Sony uses an AK4358 DAC, so here are the DSD signal pin-outs:

on IC502 AK4358; the DAC
23 DSDL4 (Down-mix) to DSD Data Left (D1)
24 DSDR4 (Down-mix) to DSD Data Right (D2)
22 DCLK to DSD Bit Clock (DCK)

*OR* on IC905 CXD2753R; the DSD Decoder
62 PHREF0 to DSD Bit Clock (DCK)
55 DSADML to DSD Data Left (D1)
56 DSADMR DSD Data Right (D2)

In either case take the ground from IC905:
58 VSDSD to (G)

Notice that I'm using the DSD down-mix outputs from the DSD decoder (into DSD in #4 on the DAC). The schematics show output #4 going to the Stereo Line out jacks. While output #1 goes to the surround front, left and right jacks. So for pure stereo operation I'm thinking this is the proper call. For your reference here are ALL the DSD outputs from the 2753:

55 DSADML - Stereo DSD Left Chan down-mix (to #4L on the DAC)
56 DSADMR - Stereo DSD Right Chan down-mix (to #4R on the DAC)
64 DSAL - Surround DSD Left Front Chan (to #1L on the DAC)
66 DSAR - Surround DSD Right Front Chan (to #1R on the DAC)
69 DSAC - Surround DSD Center Chan (to #3L on the DAC)
71 DSASW - Surround DSD Woofer Chan (to #3R on the DAC)
74 DSALS - Surround DSD Left Rear Chan (to #2L on the DAC)
76 DSARS - Surround DSD Right Rear Chan (to #2R on the DAC)

I'm not sure that if a SACD is recorded with Stereo tracks if those outputs will come out the Surround Front L & R chans or the down-mix L & R chans. Also not sure if the 2753 synthesizes a down-mix from the surround tracks in the absence of actual stereo tracks.

Anybody know the answer to this?

'sig

Edited by user Friday, October 5, 2012 6:34:16 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Corrected pin #s, asked final question. ;-)

Rss Feed  Atom Feed