Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
jknimbekar  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 2, 2012 4:28:02 PM(UTC)
jknimbekar

Groups: Member

i need to know that what would be the Vrms at output of IVY II /IV stage when it is interfaced with Opus board. i want to use my marantz CD6002's differential to balance out and low pass filter circuit to be fed by Opus + IVY III.
In marantz CS4398 is being used which gives 1.2Vrms . So can I use combination of Opus+IVY to replace CS4398 of my Marantz CD player.
jknimbekar
Russ White  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 3, 2012 1:43:47 AM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
It will be about 2VRMs if I remember correctly. In any case you can adjust as necessary.
jknimbekar  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 3, 2012 7:07:19 AM(UTC)
jknimbekar

Hi Russ
Thanx for reply. Can you tell what to do for changing output value.
Russ White  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 3, 2012 11:58:51 PM(UTC)
Russ White

I would point you to the IVY-III manual - but if you still need help let me know.
jknimbekar  
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 4, 2012 9:09:17 AM(UTC)
jknimbekar

Hi Russ
I am in a fix. As I have told you earlier I have decided to use balance to single & LPF stage of my faulty CD 6002 cd player. There are two option. I want your advice me to choose the better option.
1. Install SPDIF transceiver ( WM8804 or CS8461) and use present DAC CS4398 ( although some modifications will be required to use this chip in hardware mode which is presently being controlled by DSP chip in software mode ). if this is the case then pl tell me which transceiver should i choose and whether it is advisable I can use this chip I2S mode through pull-up & pull down of control pic of CS4398.

2. Or i should use SPDIF transceiver along with PCM DAC & IVYII/Legeto board. If this is legeto IV stage then I wish to feed its balance out to balance in of my CD palyer.
Do you anticipate any problem in my scheme. pl advice the best solution. kidly refer to my trailing mails too in this regard.
regards
JKNimbekar
Russ White  
#6 Posted : Saturday, August 4, 2012 1:48:19 PM(UTC)
Russ White

As for #1

It is not a scheme I have ever tried. You will just need to dig into the datasheet of the CS4398.

I do believe it is possible for you to do what you want to do, but it will require a lot of homework on your part and then some experimenting. :)

As for #2 this seems pretty straight forward. You would just setup your IVY-III for about half the normal output swing. I would prefer IVY-III in this situation simply because it is the least complex setup.
thanks 1 user thanked Russ White for this useful post.
jknimbekar on 8/4/2012(UTC)
jknimbekar  
#7 Posted : Saturday, August 4, 2012 3:17:42 PM(UTC)
jknimbekar

hi Russ
So according to your advice I have zeroed down to combination of transceiver +opus+I/VIII. Now two more doubt in this

1. whcih transceiver is better in terms of clock recovery. WM8804 says it has 50ps jitter (period jitter) & for CS4398 it is 200ps ( dont know whether it is period or phase jitter). so whci one is better.

2. will Opamp of I/V III give better sonic result as compared to discrete components of Legeto.

Finally, I want to ask whether this modification will bear better result as compared to original CD player.

Thanks again
jknimbekar  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 7, 2012 8:37:25 AM(UTC)
jknimbekar

hi russ
i am waiting for your reply I you have any.
Russ White  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 7, 2012 11:40:18 PM(UTC)
Russ White

1. In my experience the WM8804 is hard to beat.

2. Well this is completely subjective. But Legato is meant for current output DACs so if you want Opus you really want IVY-III. If you use the COD or Buffalo III then I would say the Legato sounds natural and easy while having excellent THD and the IVY-III will give you the very best dynamic range - but it too is very easy to listen to. It really is a tough choice.

Edited by user Tuesday, August 7, 2012 11:41:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed