Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
james.evans@frost.com  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 23, 2008 6:24:28 AM(UTC)
james.evans@frost.com

Groups: Member

I have a quiet hum in the background - not audible at normal listening levels from my chair, but audible when you put your ear to the speakers. Becomes much more audible at loud volume.

Here's my buffalo box:

UserPostedImage

I've tried disconnecting the toslink power supply as that's crossing the signal output wiring, but that made no difference. Signal wiring from buffalo to ivy and from ivy to output rcas is shielded. Any pointers on what to try? Move the regs to another box?

ta

James
Cantskienuf  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 23, 2008 6:45:15 PM(UTC)
Cantskienuf

I'm not sure that I can make out everything, but it appears that your transformers are in another box, AC power comes in through the two receptacles on the left, the single-ended RCAs are center, the toslink is right of the RCAs and I don't know what is far right - I would expect to see an SPDIF coaxial input, but there are two seemingly identical rectangular items and I can't be sure what they are wired to. In any case, I can't see that you have grounded the drains from your shielded cables. I can't see any chassis ground either. If those Buffalo-to-Ivy and Ivy-to-RCA cables have foil shields, there is usually a drain wire, which I send off to the chassis ground at the end that is furthest from the Ivy. At least that gives the bad stuff that the shield picks up some place to go. Of course, that may not be your problem at all - just a thought.
james.evans@frost.com  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 23, 2008 11:52:59 PM(UTC)
james.evans@frost.com

Thanks - grounding was something I was wondering about actually. As it's a plastic case there isn't a case ground as such. Should I put in a case ground and link that back to the earth point in the transformer box? Also, what would be the best strategy with the shielded cables? At the moment the connected end of each shield is at the pcb end. Where do I take the ground wires to case ground from? (hope that question is clear)

Btw, to the far right there's 2 coax inputs both wired to a dpst switch, which is then wired to a second dpst which feeds the dac. I've now wired the toslink board direct to D1 so the coax inputs and switches are deactivated for the moment.

Edit - as a wee experiment I've disconnected the shields from the output wiring and it's made no difference, so I'm assuming it's not that. I have another psu running off the transformer that's powering the ivy - I'm wondering if that's feeding some rubbish back in - might try disconnecting that at some point.

Edited by user Friday, October 24, 2008 1:20:07 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

james.evans@frost.com  
#4 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2008 4:34:17 AM(UTC)
james.evans@frost.com

Now sorted I think. I thought it may have had something to do with another psu I was power off the same transformer as the bipolar - I was getting a ground loop. When I switched amps it was more evident - loud buzzing on all inputs. Have disconnected that psu and everything is now silent.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed