Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
AndyS  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 5, 2011 7:59:49 PM(UTC)
AndyS

Groups: Member

On my beta22's Joshua Tree, the outputs are all common, effectively grounding the inputs on the amplifier. The relays seem to work, and click as I turn the volumite. The expected voltages are there as well.

Just a note that these inputs on the amplifier are not otherwise grounded. When I remove the output from the Joshua Tree to the beta22, the ground and input pads on the beta22 are no longer common on the amplifier. Also, the Joshua Tree is at ~50% 'volume'

As for the ribbon, I have the red stripe down the right side on both the JT and controller, just as the Joshua Tree example diagram shows.
Russ White  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 6, 2011 5:09:59 AM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
It sounds like the mute relay is not functioning correctly. Focus you efforts around trying to figure out why.
AndyS  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 6, 2011 2:13:21 PM(UTC)
AndyS

Hi Russ,

That may be true. As far as I can see everything is installed correctly including the relays. They are 'clicking' as they should and all that as the volumite is turned. How do I go about troubleshooting the mute relay? Just to clarify, even if I remove all I/O wires from the tree, the outputs are still all common.
Russ White  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 6, 2011 2:29:31 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
That's because the mute relay makes them so. make sure that the mute relay is being driven when it should be. When it's not driven the muting is active(pulling the outputs to GND).
Brian Donegan  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 6, 2011 2:55:00 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
There is an arrow on each IDC connector. Be sure that is aligned with the red stripe on the ribbon cable (or opposite on both ends, as long as it is consistent).

Also be sure the IDC connector is fully crimped to the ribbon, and that the ribbon is straight into the connectors.

It would be good to check the continuity of each pin from board to board with the ribbon cable in place, and that there is no shorting to adjacent pins.

Also, when testing, remember that you will not see a consistent stepped resistance from input to output as the JT operates. A good test is to attach a battery (9V gives a more noticeable change) to the input and GND, then measure the voltage at the output as you step through. You should see a logarithmic voltage progression.

Edited by user Monday, June 6, 2011 2:58:58 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

AndyS  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 7, 2011 7:45:51 AM(UTC)
AndyS

Ok. Thanks guys for the feedback. I get back in town on Thursday I will be sure to give the recommendations a try. I'll post back up either way.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed