Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
steveww  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 18, 2010 7:51:15 AM(UTC)
steveww

Groups: Member

At the moment there is not clickerty-click from the relays????

I have +5V on all the rails.
I can see on the scope the serial data arriving at the decoding chip but it does not appear to do much with the darlington drivers.

I am not sure what the address switches should be set to, so it could be this?

Any other ideas?
What else can I check?
steveww  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 18, 2010 1:00:56 PM(UTC)
steveww

21 views and no answer so far.....

Does anyone have any suggestions???

Reading some of the other posts it appears that all the address switches should be off, which they are.
stephen1212b  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 18, 2010 8:46:42 PM(UTC)
stephen1212b

Silly question but are you sure you have the right version of firmware properly installed (chip not backwards) and nothing else on the I2 buss? I don't have a Joshua tree but read the manual to see if it needs to have the pull up resisters installed on the volumite and make sure they are there. Were things working and then stopped or have they never worked?
steveww  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 19, 2010 1:16:56 AM(UTC)
steveww

When I first built the board it powered up and worked just fine, that was on the bench. Now that I have it installed in the case it appears to be dead.

I have checked and double checked all connections and all are OK. The only thing that has happened to the board is that I connected its power feed to +5V when I first put it in the case. Of course it did not work as it needs at least 7V, I spotted that mistake and it is now connected to +9V. I can not see that connecting it to a lower supply would kill it? At the moment it looks like the decoder chip is dead.
Brian Donegan  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 19, 2010 10:06:24 AM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
Quote:
When I first built the board it powered up and worked just fine, that was on the bench. Now that I have it installed in the case it appears to be dead.

This is a key bit of information.

Did you change the ribbon connector at all during installation?
steveww  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 20, 2010 1:46:14 AM(UTC)
steveww

I shortened the ribbon but I have buzzed it out and checked 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, 4-4, etc..... also no shorts to adjacent pins.

With out the ribbon connected I can not see any activity on the outputs of MCP23008 with the scope, surely these should transition hi/lo?

Edited by user Wednesday, October 20, 2010 1:47:39 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

steveww  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 20, 2010 4:08:30 AM(UTC)
steveww

In desperation I have replaced the MCP23008 chip just in case it had died from ESD but alas this has made no difference Brick wall
steveww  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 20, 2010 5:00:59 AM(UTC)
steveww

The SCL/SCA data lines are only 3.3V going in to the MCP23008. Is this correct? I am not sure this is high enough for the MCP23008 to see this as a change in logic state?????
steveww  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, October 20, 2010 7:17:36 AM(UTC)
steveww

That did the trick :d/

The 3.3V regulator is not needed when power off the driver board. If only there were some decent build notes for this Brick wall
AndyS  
#10 Posted : Sunday, June 5, 2011 12:34:50 AM(UTC)
AndyS

Can you tell me more about this? I also have a JT kit, and I do not have any relay sounds. I had installed the voltage regulator on the control board, not realizing it is not needed. I was seeing ~3.3V across the SDA-SCL, since I expect ~5V, I removed the regulator as suggested, however, I now have nothing across SDA-SCL, which leads me to believe I need to short the regulator pads somehow. Thoughts?
AndyS  
#11 Posted : Sunday, June 5, 2011 1:04:35 PM(UTC)
AndyS

Interestingly, I bridged the outer regulator pads. This gives me 5v on on VDD-GND and 5v on SDA-SCL. When I turn the knob while measuring DC on SDA-SCL I do see the voltage change for a moment, and then go back to nominal. However, I do not hear any relay 'clicking' sounds as I turn the volumite. I do not have the inputs or outputs connected on the joshua tree board, but I don't think that makes a difference.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed