Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
darienf  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 3:53:44 AM(UTC)
darienf

Groups: Member
United States

First, I want to thank you for providing this kit - it has provided me with countless hours of audio bliss.

But now to my tale of woe: After about 6 months of enjoying the BIII in stereo, I decided to try the dual mono configuration. Once I put the whole thing together - not the spectacular sound I was expecting - something is wrong.

So here is what I know:

-- old BIII (we'll call master v1.0.2) works great still all by itself with Legato
-- new BIII (which oddly is older v1.0.1) works by itself as well, but has high pitch noise at high volume

I only mention version number so you can distinguish the two in the pictures. My understanding is that there is no substantial difference between the two.

Here is what I tried:

-- swapping power supplies - they are both powered by placid HDs. No difference.
-- swapping AVCC modules - master is still dead silent, noise on slave is reduced but still present.

I tried "slave" by itself (firmware controller installed) - it worked but high pitch noise remained.

Then I tried looking at the noise with an oscilloscope. Attached are pics of of output of both master and slave for comparison. I'm taking signal directly from the BIII board (03, 04) with no Legato attached.

Any help on where to go next with this would be appreciated.

Edited by user Monday, January 28, 2013 4:05:40 AM(UTC)  | Reason: typo

darienf attached the following image(s):
b3.JPG (145kb) downloaded 78 time(s).
b3 back.JPG (71kb) downloaded 65 time(s).
slave.JPG (87kb) downloaded 61 time(s).
master.JPG (85kb) downloaded 46 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
SCompRacer  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 5:25:13 AM(UTC)
SCompRacer

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Originally Posted by: darienf Go to Quoted Post

I only mention version number so you can distinguish the two in the pictures. My understanding is that there is no substantial difference between the two.

Sorry I can't offer anything other than I have a version 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 in dual mono. I had asked Russ and he said no worries with the two versions.

I hope you get it solved and going soon!
Russ White  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 7:34:34 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Are you controlling the volume digitally? Or with a preamp.
darienf  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 3:29:53 AM(UTC)
darienf

United States

Digital volume is set to almost max, and I am using an integrated amp (Nait 5i) to control volume.

Sound level of high pitch noise is not affected by the digital volume, although I have only adjusted the volume digitally using the "master".

Russ White  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 3:46:40 PM(UTC)
Russ White

I notice you have the older AVCC modules. It may help to add some compensation to them. It is pretty easy.

If you have a couple 100-220pf caps try putting one across each -IN and OUT of the dual opamp on the AVCC. This makes the module very stable and more immune to instability that can be induced by RF/EMI etc.

Since you are going dual mono ultimate quality is likely very important to you. I would strongly suggest you upgrade the AVCC to the current version if possible. It's just a better circuit. The old version will work fine, but you may need the compensation as suggested above.

Some other possibilities:

1) A ground loop (high speed)
2) EMI pickup from some other source?

It can be tough to diagnose from afar. :)

I will try to help any way I can.
darienf  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 4:12:32 PM(UTC)
darienf

United States

Thanks, I'll try the caps and report back. I'll probably get the new AVCC modules in the end but want to know for certain that this is where the problem lies. It seem like the AVCC module given the difference when swapping them, but on the other hand it does not explain why one BIII seemingly works well with either AVCC module installed.

Russ White  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 5:00:12 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Could be several factors. I think the most likely is a difference in the accumulative value of bypass caps on the AVCC pins of the DAC between the two buffalo revisions - just by normal part variation, and they may actually be slightly different parts.

I think the comp caps will do the trick.

Please let us know.

Cheers!
RUss
darienf  
#8 Posted : Sunday, February 3, 2013 4:42:28 PM(UTC)
darienf

United States

The caps completely removed the noise. Thank you!

I also tried the new AVCC modules - these also eliminated the noise, and as you mentioned are significant improvement over the older revision, especially after increasing the voltage.

Weirdly, the increased voltage to the BIIIs also eliminated lock issues I was having with spdif-4. I was ready to power it separately based upon reports lowering the voltage would help. Hopefully running at 5.4V will not fry it.

BTW, since for the foreseeable future I am going to using SE, and I wanted to avoid adding more stuff to the signal I opted for the dual BIII into single Legato. I'm still studying the threads around this configuration and current. My hope is to achieve a little more refinement in the bass, which is just a tad exuberant with my configuration.

Again, thank you for your help!
Russ White  
#9 Posted : Sunday, February 3, 2013 5:48:14 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Excellent! Glad to help.

I highly suggest running dual mono into a single Legato if you wish to run dual mono.

I use the Legato with stock values and then add a 392-680R across + and - at the balanced output. This will lower the output back down to 2VRMs. It also reduces THD+N. This configuration sounds superb. 392R will get you a bit less than 2VRMs while 680R more.

You can adjust the value until you find your sweet spot. :)

Wiring mono into half a Legato is simple. You just needs to remember that the half of the buffalo opposite from the selected channel will have its phase reversed. So for the right side DAC right half output is normal, left is reversed. So to parallel connect Right + to Left - and Right - to Left +. For the left side DAC the process is exactly reverse. :)

Let me know how it goes and/or if you need any further help.

Edited by user Sunday, February 3, 2013 5:49:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Russ White  
#10 Posted : Sunday, February 3, 2013 10:55:16 PM(UTC)
Russ White

I can only speak to my own firmware :)
SCompRacer  
#11 Posted : Thursday, February 7, 2013 12:37:41 AM(UTC)
SCompRacer

Originally Posted by: Russ White Go to Quoted Post

I use the Legato with stock values and then add a 392-680R across + and - at the balanced output..

Any preference for resistor type here...like metal film, etc? 1/4 watt 1% good enough?

Edited by user Thursday, February 7, 2013 12:39:09 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Russ White  
#12 Posted : Thursday, February 7, 2013 3:05:27 AM(UTC)
Russ White

1//4W metal film. 1% is fine.

Matching the value between channels is more important than the accuracy of the value.

Cheers!
Russ
SCompRacer  
#13 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2013 7:40:31 AM(UTC)
SCompRacer

Russ, what is best procedure for testing output voltage on balanced out? Play a test tone (like 1K), full volume on DAC while connected to a load such as pre amp? Should I see full or half voltage measuring across pos and neg of balanced?

Rss Feed  Atom Feed