Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
cjunkk  
#21 Posted : Sunday, November 30, 2008 1:27:41 PM(UTC)
cjunkk

Groups: Member

Hello,
during the weekend I made the following experiments:
1) I successfully recorded the digital out at 96/24 from the mac mini toslink using my audigy usb nx connected to a dell laptop running xp
2) I connected my Monarchy Audio DIP to the toslink output of the mac mini: the lock led was stable at 96/24. I tried to send the
coax output of the Monarchy to SPDIF input of the Buffalo which refused to lock on this signal (also when the source was set to 44.1) The
Monarchy SPDIF output is boosted to 1.2 V pp, may be the Buffalo comparator does not like this...
The bottom line is that the Mac Mini toslink output seems to work at 96/24 but not with the Buffalo toslink; on the other hand, the Buffalo toslink works fine with the Audigy at 96/24 connected to my old dell notebook (and Russ reported that it works also with an Apogee source).
It would be nice to understand why.

Carlo
AudioBear  
#22 Posted : Monday, December 1, 2008 2:55:40 AM(UTC)
AudioBear

Very interesting Carlo, it must be some sort of synergy problem, as I have a friend with a Mac Mini, which into another DAC on the end of an optical cable, locks just fine at 96/24!

We tried that very same Mac Mini in my setup, just replacing the Mac and it had the same problem as mine into the Buffalo / TOSLINK. Clicks and pops and trouble maintaining a lock? Don't forget this is the second TOSLINK receiver I've used. (One of the old and one of the new types.)

If I get time I will try it via a S/PDIF 4:1 MUX/Receiver, unfortunately this was for a present and so am really reluctant to build it. (Really just to try and rule out the Buffalo.)

Russ
fault151  
#23 Posted : Sunday, December 14, 2008 2:46:56 PM(UTC)
fault151

Hi guys i am having the exact problem you are having with the 96kh locking on a mac. I have a Mac pro and when i set it to output via optical at 96kh the buffalo dac doesn't want to know. It plays ok at everything below it, just not at 96kh.

I have tried it via my beresford dac and it works perfect at 96hz via optical.

I have heard there is a problem with the buffalo first set of boards sent out. Is this the cause of the problem?

Russ White  
#24 Posted : Sunday, December 14, 2008 3:06:20 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
No, that issue was that the comparator on the consumer spdif input was only capable of 48khz, which if you leave the SPDIF switch open and go direct to D1 you will be bypassing.

Make sure you are doing it through D1 and not the normal SPDIF input if you are using our TORX module.
fault151  
#25 Posted : Sunday, December 14, 2008 3:17:48 PM(UTC)
fault151

I am using the toslink module and currently its hooked up to spdif and dck. Ill hook it up to d1 and dck and try that.

Mark
Russ White  
#26 Posted : Sunday, December 14, 2008 3:19:04 PM(UTC)
Russ White

It should only be connected to D1 and GND.
fault151  
#27 Posted : Sunday, December 14, 2008 3:21:06 PM(UTC)
fault151

Ok i had to switch the spdif switch to 1 and now it works. Is it working at 96kh fine now? It says it is on my computer.
fault151  
#28 Posted : Sunday, December 14, 2008 3:22:00 PM(UTC)
fault151

Russ White wrote:
It should only be connected to D1 and GND.

Sorry thats what i meant. :0)
fault151  
#29 Posted : Sunday, December 14, 2008 3:23:53 PM(UTC)
fault151

Does it matter what the dip switches are set to for sound? I am using coax and optical mainly as inputs.

Is there a recommended set up for the dip switch?
Russ White  
#30 Posted : Sunday, December 14, 2008 3:57:18 PM(UTC)
Russ White

If you have your mac sending 96khz and its playing on the DAC then its working fine. :)

I would leave them all the switches high(+).

Cheers!
Russ
fault151  
#31 Posted : Sunday, December 14, 2008 4:00:01 PM(UTC)
fault151

Ok nice one, i'll set them all to + then. Cheers for your help.
adelias  
#32 Posted : Tuesday, December 16, 2008 5:14:05 AM(UTC)
adelias

AudioBear wrote:
Very interesting Carlo, it must be some sort of synergy problem, as I have a friend with a Mac Mini, which into another DAC on the end of an optical cable, locks just fine at 96/24!

We tried that very same Mac Mini in my setup, just replacing the Mac and it had the same problem as mine into the Buffalo / TOSLINK. Clicks and pops and trouble maintaining a lock? Don't forget this is the second TOSLINK receiver I've used. (One of the old and one of the new types.)

If I get time I will try it via a S/PDIF 4:1 MUX/Receiver, unfortunately this was for a present and so am really reluctant to build it. (Really just to try and rule out the Buffalo.)

Russ

I don't have a Mac but was experiencing similar problems with my HTPC with a Xonar DX(PCI-E). The Xonar DX has a mini toslink output capable of sending 24bit/192kHz. I couldn't get a stable lock at 96kHz with the Buffalo/TORX connected at D1. I then built the MUX that I had and hooked up the TORX on its input and output to the spdif on the Buffalo(with old comparator). It locked at 96kHz but not at 192kHz. I now have the MUX connected to the Buffalo via I2S and it locks fine even at 192kHz.
Russ White  
#33 Posted : Tuesday, December 16, 2008 8:05:37 AM(UTC)
Russ White

adelias wrote:
I hooked up the TORX on its input and output to the spdif on the Buffalo(with old comparator). It locked at 96kHz but not at 192kHz. I now have the MUX connected to the Buffalo via I2S and it locks fine even at 192kHz.

Yes the old comparator would be very very lucky to lock at 96khz. :)

The new comparator will easily lock at 192khz.

I2S from the MUX is the best option if you have consumer level 96khz or 192khz and a Buffalo board prior to PCB rev "1.2".

The TORX module to D1 is also just fine on any version of Buffalo. Of course bandwidth will be dictated by the optical receiver itself in that case.

Cheers!
Russ

Edited by user Tuesday, December 16, 2008 8:06:54 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

adelias  
#34 Posted : Tuesday, December 16, 2008 9:06:19 AM(UTC)
adelias

Russ,

Other than the comparator, what differences are there between revisions 1.1 and 1.2 of the Buffalo board?
Russ White  
#35 Posted : Tuesday, December 16, 2008 9:59:04 AM(UTC)
Russ White

We just added a VDD pin to the I2C header to take 3.3V out to make it easier to use the volumite etc.

We also removed the disable clock header simply because it was causing more confusion than help. Also it simply is not recommended to use an off board clock because the signal length simply becomes far too long completely eliminating any possible gain. The 80mhz signal should only be a couple cm and should be well isolated as it is on the board.

That's it. A very minor revision.

Edited by user Tuesday, December 16, 2008 10:05:44 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

AudioBear  
#36 Posted : Friday, January 9, 2009 4:35:53 AM(UTC)
AudioBear

cjunkk wrote:
Hello,
during the weekend I made the following experiments:
1) I successfully recorded the digital out at 96/24 from the mac mini toslink using my audigy usb nx connected to a dell laptop running xp
2) I connected my Monarchy Audio DIP to the toslink output of the mac mini: the lock led was stable at 96/24. I tried to send the
coax output of the Monarchy to SPDIF input of the Buffalo which refused to lock on this signal (also when the source was set to 44.1) The
Monarchy SPDIF output is boosted to 1.2 V pp, may be the Buffalo comparator does not like this...
The bottom line is that the Mac Mini toslink output seems to work at 96/24 but not with the Buffalo toslink; on the other hand, the Buffalo toslink works fine with the Audigy at 96/24 connected to my old dell notebook (and Russ reported that it works also with an Apogee source).
It would be nice to understand why.

Carlo

Yep, definitely something between the MacMini and Buffalo, I managed to try yet another mini and this would not go over 44.1 either. All other macs (not Mini's) I've tried worked with no problem at 96/24 including one of the new MacBooks and the slightly older white MacBooks.
lemting  
#37 Posted : Wednesday, March 4, 2009 7:43:01 AM(UTC)
lemting

Just finish my buffalo
just one problem with airport express via optical into mux and buffalo...no lock or just few seconds lock and after nothing etc
Running from my Mac Mini via optical into mux and buffalo: lock is ok even to 96/24
maybe signal from airport express is too weak for buffalo, but it's enough for dac inside my lexicon MC12
Rss Feed  Atom Feed