Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
stewart  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 3, 2019 3:02:21 AM(UTC)
stewart

Groups: Member

I wanted to confirm the Mercury current consumption. Russ posted the below in the diyaudio forum, but it wasn't clear to me from the back and forth.

To confirm, total current consumption is 200ma? 100ma for L and 100 ma for R? And if you were to run a dual-mono configuration with separate power supplies for each rail (4 total supplies), current consumption would be 50ma + for L / 50ma - for L and 50ma + for R and 50ma - for R?

I couldn't tell from Russ's comment ("200ma total per rail for both") whether that meant 200ma total or 200ma per rail, so 400ma total.

Thanks.

about 100ma per channel (each has it own supply input)

So combined ~ 200ma - I power mine with a single Placid HD-BP right now.
Just to confirm, 100ma + & 100ma -, correct? AND at +-15V?

Yes - both rails will be very near those values at +/- 15V per channel (so 200ma total per rail for both).

https://www.diyaudio.com...g-escape-velocity-2.html

Edited by user Wednesday, February 5, 2020 7:41:47 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

stewart  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2020 7:43:50 PM(UTC)
stewart

Bump. Brian's post here also confused me, suggesting to plan for 5-600ma per rail.

Depending on the DAC output level, and gain used, it is safe to plan for 500-600mA per rail (+/-) to allow for ample headroom.

https://www.diyaudio.com...-escape-velocity-21.html

Edited by user Wednesday, February 5, 2020 8:10:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Brian Donegan  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2020 2:30:59 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
Originally Posted by: stewart Go to Quoted Post
Bump. Brian's post here also confused me, suggesting to plan for 5-600ma per rail.

Depending on the DAC output level, and gain used, it is safe to plan for 500-600mA per rail (+/-) to allow for ample headroom.

https://www.diyaudio.com...-escape-velocity-21.html

The question I was answering was not related to the use of the Placid. It was for a newly designed power supply for the Mercury. I was suggesting that one should plan for the supply to be able to deliver that much current (much like the Placid can), not that that much would be in use by the Mercury.
stewart  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2020 9:25:18 PM(UTC)
stewart

Thanks. I am asking because I am going to try another shunt power supply as well for the mercury and would like to plan for about 100ma headroom above peak demand and need to choose a resistor value to set the current limiter. If I'm planning for 500ma per rail, I would go with 600ma, but I'm planning for 200ma per rail based on the other posts, I'd go with 300ma (and would halve these values if going with a dual mono setup).

Edited by user Thursday, February 20, 2020 9:26:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

stewart  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 3, 2020 7:50:15 PM(UTC)
stewart

Bump.
stewart  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2020 12:36:07 AM(UTC)
stewart

Further to the current question, it seems the Mercury draws about 180mA in each channel. If running dual-mono power supplies, I am planning for 90mA in each +/- rail of the L/R channels. What is the peak current draw of each channel under load?

Also, not knowing how the i/v stage works in detail, when using the Mercury to drive headphones (I am using Sennheiser HD650s) will the Mercury be pulling more current from the power supplies?

I am trying to set CCS of shunt supplies feeding the Mercury. There seems to be a big and pleasing increase in bass when running them at 330mA vs. some of the lower current settings. Even at about 270mA, I'm not getting the same bass when listening with the HD650s. That being said, in dual mono, this is shunting an excessive amount of current and likely isn't a good long-term setting. If headphones are pulling significantly more current, maybe I can be happy dropping CCS to around 220-250mA in dual mono, knowing that feeding an amp vs. headphones may not pull as much current.

It is strange to me that there is any audible difference when the regulators are already shunting so much excess current. I can't imagine the Mercury benefits audibly from an incremental increase of 50mA or so being shunted but it seems to...
Rss Feed  Atom Feed