Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
orpheus  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 22, 2011 1:45:46 PM(UTC)
orpheus

Groups: Member

I have been following this blog for a while (and have ordered some boards for his Objective Headphone Amplifier from the DIYaudio group buy). He has some very expensive audio measuring equipment, and is interested in using it to measure and publish the results for the benefit of everyone in the audio community. He is interested in measuring a Buffalo DAC.

I have read all of his reviews, and find that he gives credit where credit is due, and also criticizes products that measure poorly. Controversies have ensued following some of his measurement reviews, but no one has ever been able (as far as I am aware) to refute his findings. He has $20,000 + worth of measuring equipment, far more than the average boutique audio manufacturer.

It would be very interesting to see how a Buffalo would do in his measurement tests. This would be a great way to get a published set of solid measurements for the Buffalo with top notch equipment. Of course there is a risk in that if he finds fault, he will disclose it, but that is a good thing, not a bad thing, since any fault (if there even are any), could be corrected.

Of course, Russ and Brian should be the ones to send one out if they are willing. That way it would be free from DIYer anomalies. If not, perhaps a DIYer that has a spare would be willing to send one out, or perhaps someone out there has a new Buffalo III and isn't using their Buffalo II and could have it measured. I could contribute an IVY III or a Legato for the tests if needed. It would be great to have extensive published measurements for the Buffalo.

What do you guys think?

-Aaron
thomaspf  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 22, 2011 3:14:25 PM(UTC)
thomaspf

Where does he live in the Northwest? I happen to have 3 generation of Buffalo's in my home system and live in Seattle.

Cheers

Thomas
orpheus  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 22, 2011 6:05:34 PM(UTC)
orpheus

Yes, I believe he is in the northwest. I don't know what city he is in though. You can contact him here, or I can contact him and find out more if you would like him to measure your Buffalo(s). My interaction with him was on a DIYaudio thread, so I don't have his email.

Thank you for taking the time to respond!
Aaron.
thomaspf  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 22, 2011 10:58:03 PM(UTC)
thomaspf

I send him a note
Rss Feed  Atom Feed